* [RFC] Change default value for `org-startup-folded'?
@ 2020-04-30 15:11 Nicolas Goaziou
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-04-30 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

Reading a recent message on Emacs devel list, I stumbled upon this:

    I needed to go and look up to figure out how to read the org file
    that came with pdf-tools. It isn't that much text, and the annoying
    folding that org does for what amounts to a simple README file is
    gratuitous at best.

it struck me that our default value for `org-startup-folded', which
t (or `overview') may not be nice for people not used to Org.

It would make sense to make it easier for non-Org users who have to deal
with Org files to set this variable to `showeverything'. This would also
be on par with Outline mode, the major mode used to handle, e.g., NEWS
file.

Even though I think `overview' is a nice value, the logic behind my
suggestion is that it is easier for an Org user to set
`org-startup-folded' once and for all than for a non-Org user to
discover Org folding the hard way.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou