Arthur Miller writes: > I don't think that would be the case. Java is considered unsafe software > so I wouldn't rely on older versions being pre-installed and avialable everywhere. Java is not considered unsafe software — not any more than any interpreted language. What’s unsafe are Java applets, but those are not what ditaa uses. >> I would bundle the old version to keep old documents working (I do not >> want org-mode to be volatile software[1] that breaks existing documents >> with an update), but notify the user that a new version exists. > > Since you already have Java and ditaa installed on your computer, your > older documents won't get broken. I have Java, but not ditaa, because Java is packaged in my distribution and ditaa is not. My build pipelines use ditaa as shipped with org-mode. Different from plantuml, there is no ditaa-runner to install as application. So unbundling ditaa breaks my documents when updating org-mode. The same for everyone else who used a standard ditaa-setup with org-mode. > By the way, how difficult is to download one file from the internet > (ditaa.jar) if you are an user? That’s not the point. The point is that every single user with a ditaa block has to do it. Ask the other way round: What is the benefit of removing ditaa from org? If you want to force most current org-ditaa users to unbreak their setup after update, there should be a significant tangible benefit. Best wishes, Arne -- Unpolitisch sein heißt politisch sein ohne es zu merken