* Org and APL
@ 2021-10-01  6:51 Steven Harris
From: Steven Harris @ 2021-10-01  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi All

I'm trying, not for the first time, to get my head around the APL
programming language.  This uses some strange glyphs to achieve its purpose.

I would like to write my notes and code snippets in an Org file or two and
ideally be able to write in a literate-programming style using org-babel.

1. Can anyone provide tips for simply adding APL text in an org-mode
document?
2. Has anyone had success with org-babel and APL integration?

Any flavour of APL is fine, GNU, Dyalog or whatever.

Thanks

Steven

* Re: Org and APL
@ 2021-10-01  8:17 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-01  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Harris; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Steven,

APL was the first programming language I learned back in the 70s.  Loved
it!  Haven't used it much since unfortunately.  I did try J a few
decades later but couldn't get into it.

> 1. Can anyone provide tips for simply adding APL text in an org-mode
> document?

I've not tried this in a while but gnu-apl-mode (available from MELPA)
sets up the keyboard to use the super key for input of APL characters
but also defines an APL input method [1].  And, of course, you can
always input unicode characters directly (C-x 8 RET) although this is
less convenient.

> 2. Has anyone had success with org-babel and APL integration?

It depends on how much you want to do in this regard.  If you have an
APL mode installed, you can at least have APL src blocks which you can
edit.  Anything more than that (executing the code in org mode), you'll
need to create an ob-apl.el file which implements the bits necessary for
invoking the APL system.

HTH,
eric

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/lokedhs/gnu-apl-mode

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org 9.5-g9a4a24
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096