* Help mastering indentation
@ 2022-09-04 16:10 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-09-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi!

I am studying in org mode, I love it, I prefer it over some university
books which have poor typography.

But when it comes to displaying each paragraph, I perceive it like very
difficult: filling, unfilling, wrapping, adaptive wrapping, indent...
and it seems that emacs and org-mode have their own functions.

Is there a way to mastering paragraphs displaying?

What I would like to achieve is to display unfilled paragraphs in
org-mode, with the first line indented, and hyphenation at the end of
the lines. Could this be done just using the functions in emacs?

Best regards

* Re: Help mastering indentation
@ 2022-09-05  6:45 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-09-05  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ypo; +Cc: Org-mode

Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com> writes:

> But when it comes to displaying each paragraph, I perceive it like very
> difficult: filling, unfilling, wrapping, adaptive wrapping, indent...
> and it seems that emacs and org-mode have their own functions.

Well. This is what we usually have in Emacs. Multiple approaches to the
same or similar problem. Choose what you prefer.

> Is there a way to mastering paragraphs displaying?

The basics are described in 8.8 Continuation Lines section of Emacs
manual and the links from that section.

> What I would like to achieve is to display unfilled paragraphs in
> org-mode, with the first line indented, and hyphenation at the end of
> the lines. Could this be done just using the functions in emacs?

1. First line indentation: Check out adaptive-wrap package and its
   adaptive-wrap-extra-indent customization.
2. Hypenation: You can check line wrapping/truncation in the Emacs
   manual. If you do not have word-wrap set to non-nil (it is not, by
   default), the words will be wrapped in the middle. The indicator at
   the boundary is usually not hyphen, but can be customized via
   fringe-indicator-alist.

Hope it helps.

--
Ihor Radchenko,