From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com>
Cc: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: OS advice
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 22:22:22 +0000	[thread overview]

Ypo writes:

> Hi
>
> Orgmode is sometimes desperately slow on my PC:
>
> Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3100 Mhz
>
> (RAM)    4,00 GB
>
> I am running Windows 10, everything I use works OK, but Orgmode.
>
> Do you think that if I install a Linux OS, Orgmode would run fast? Any
> OS suggestion?

I've read somewhere that Emacs performance on windows tends to be slow,
but I can't assure you because the last windows I suffered was W98, and
at that time I didn't even use Emacs. According to the official GNU
Emacs website:

#+begin_quote

The reason for GNU Emacs's existence is to provide a powerful editor for
the GNU operating system. Versions of GNU, such as GNU/Linux, are the
primary platforms for Emacs development.

However, GNU Emacs includes support for some other systems that
volunteers choose to support.

[...]

#+end_quote

I don't know what specific performance problems you have with Emacs
under Windows, but you can post them on the Emacs-devel mailing list to
help improve Emacs performance on windows.

However, if you are not tied to windows for work reasons or for a
specific application, my recommendation is that you migrate to
GNU/Linux. But I also recommend that you try to avoid falling into the
clutches of distro hopping, at least to begin with :-). In general, any
of the popular distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) is a good choice.
Even if you want the latest of the latest software, EndeavourOS is an
excellent derivative of Arch Linux (much better than Manjaro) with a
very simple graphical installer. Arch itself also has a graphical
installer, if you want to install it, but I would start with Endeavour.
In Linux you also have the possibility of installing light desktop
environments or window managers, which run well with the specifications
of your PC. Lxde and Lxqt are good options, they have openbox as a
window manager, which is robust and highly configurable. But if you
don't want to complicate your life, xfce is a good option. Or Plasma,
which despite being very attractive, I remember that it did not consume
too many resources. And later, if you want to come in the world of
tiling-style window managers, you have a vast territory to explore. I
was very comfortable with BSPWM for a long time, until I migrated to
EXWM (Emacs X Window Manager), which is what I've been using now for a
few years.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel