* Debugging the publishing process?
@ 2008-10-21 10:54 Ángel de Vicente
From: Ángel de Vicente @ 2008-10-21 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can give me a tip... I'm just trying to figure out the
publishing process in Org-mode, but I'm not getting any results.. is there
a way to debug what ORG-MODE is trying to do?

I started with a basic setting, and defined a minimal (but I think valid)
org-publish-project-alist as:

(setq org-publish-project-alist
       '(("OWD"
	 :base-directory "~/org/"
	 :publishing-directory "~/OWD")))

In ~/org I have a number of .org files that get properly exported to HTML
with C-c C-e h

but if I try to publish them with C-c C-e A, nothing appear in ~/OWD, and
have no clue where it went wrong.

By the way, I have version 6.04c installed (although the info manual says
it is 6.09a) (I just installed from the download link at
http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-4)

Thanks a lot,
Ángel de Vicente
--
----------------------------------
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/

High Performance Computing Support PostDoc
Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias

* Re: Debugging the publishing process?
@ 2008-10-21 12:20 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-10-21 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ángel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> writes:

> I wonder if anyone can give me a tip... I'm just trying to figure out
> the  publishing process in Org-mode, but I'm not getting any
> results.. is there  a way to debug what ORG-MODE is trying to do?
>
> I started with a basic setting, and defined a minimal (but I think
> valid)  org-publish-project-alist as:
>
> (setq org-publish-project-alist
>       '(("OWD"
> 	 :base-directory "~/org/"
> 	 :publishing-directory "~/OWD")))
>
> In ~/org I have a number of .org files that get properly exported to
> HTML  with C-c C-e h
>
> but if I try to publish them with C-c C-e A, nothing appear in ~/OWD,
> and  have no clue where it went wrong.
>
> By the way, I have version 6.04c installed (although the info manual
> says  it is 6.09a) (I just installed from the download link at
> http://orgmode.org/index.html#sec-4)

This works fine for me in 6.09a (as reported by M-x org-version)

,----[ minimal.emacs ]
| (global-font-lock-mode t)
|
| (add-hook 'org-mode-hook '(lambda () (flyspell-mode 1)))
|
| (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/git/org-mode/lisp"))
| (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" . org-mode))
| (require 'org-install)
|
| (define-key global-map "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
| (define-key global-map "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
|
| (setq org-publish-project-alist
|       '(("OWD"
| 	 :base-directory "/tmp/org/"
| 	 :publishing-directory "/tmp/OWD")))
`----

I created /tmp/org and /tmp/OWD and then

emacs -q -l minimal.emacs

created /tmp/org/test.org and C-c C-e A creates /tmp/OWD/test.html

,----[ test.org ]

`----

,----[ test2.org ]
| * Another file
| * with stuff
| Whee it works fine.
`----

The publishing process normally writes details to the message window (if
you click in the message window it open the *Messages* buffer so you can
scroll through the messages.)

,----[ *Messages* ]
| Exporting... [2 times]
| Wrote /tmp/OWD/test2.html
| Exporting... done
| Publishing file /tmp/org/test.org
| Exporting... [3 times]
| Wrote /tmp/OWD/test.html
| Exporting... done
`----

If I do it a second time without touching the files I get

,----
| Skipping unmodified file /tmp/org/test2.org
| Skipping unmodified file /tmp/org/test.org
`----

I'm sure there have been lots of changes since 6.04c that affect
publishing so I would recommend upgrading to the most recent version of
org-mode first and trying again.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Debugging the publishing process?
@ 2008-10-21 14:23   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-21 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

There where some more options required in setq org-publish-project-alist
I believe.

Try to add

:base-extension "org"
:publishing-function org-publish-org-to-html

and maybe some other as described in the manual
http://orgmode.org/manual/Sources-and-destinations.html#Sources-and-destinations
ff.

Regards,

   Sebastian

@ 2008-10-22  7:11   ` Ángel de Vicente
From: Ángel de Vicente @ 2008-10-22  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

thanks Bernt (and Sebastian) for the help with this. In the end it turned
out that I had two places with the ORG files and apparently it was getting
quite confused with both. Getting rid of one of them and just leaving the
6.09a one did the trick. (I hadn't touched this computer for a bit more
than two months, so one forgets what is installed... :)

Thanks a lot,
Ángel de Vicente

--