* org-browse-url.el: Bookmark from a browser into org links
@ 2008-11-23  7:09 Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2008-11-23  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For some time now I've been wanting to put pages from FF into the org
stored links where the page title is used as the description.  I ran
across org-annotation-helper.el but I don't use remember and didn't like
it's approach of automatically inserting the link somewhere or popping
up a buffer.

I prefer the way org-mode handles links which allows me to collect links
while I'm there and then file them into my org buffers when I get back
to them.  So I wrote the attached library to accomodate exactly this.
To use it, follow the instructions in the commentary.

Enjoy!
Ross

* Re: org-browse-url.el: Bookmark from a browser into org links
@ 2008-11-23  7:26 ` Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2008-11-23  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> For some time now I've been wanting to put pages from FF into the org
> stored links where the page title is used as the description.  I ran
> across org-annotation-helper.el but I don't use remember and didn't like
> it's approach of automatically inserting the link somewhere or popping
> up a buffer.
>
> I prefer the way org-mode handles links which allows me to collect links
> while I'm there and then file them into my org buffers when I get back
> to them.  So I wrote the attached library to accomodate exactly this.
> To use it, follow the instructions in the commentary.
>
> Enjoy!
> Ross

Always with forgetting the attachment.  All this technology, and I still
don't know how to use it.  :)

Ross

[-- Attachment #2: org-browse-url.el --]

* Re: org-browse-url.el: Bookmark from a browser into org links
@ 2008-11-23  7:45   ` Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2008-11-23  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:
>
>> For some time now I've been wanting to put pages from FF into the org
>> stored links where the page title is used as the description.  I ran
>> across org-annotation-helper.el but I don't use remember and didn't like
>> it's approach of automatically inserting the link somewhere or popping
>> up a buffer.
>>
>> I prefer the way org-mode handles links which allows me to collect links
>> while I'm there and then file them into my org buffers when I get back
>> to them.  So I wrote the attached library to accomodate exactly this.
>> To use it, follow the instructions in the commentary.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>> Ross
>
> Always with forgetting the attachment.  All this technology, and I still
> don't know how to use it.  :)

One more note.  I use this by also giving the bookmarklet a keyword of
"l".  Then whenever I want to org-link a page, I just hit C-l to get the
location bar and then type "l" and hit RET.  Then the page is in the org
links ring.  This is only valuable if like me you don't have the
bookmarks tool bar or side bar cause you hate wasting space.  :)

@ 2008-11-24  3:58 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2008-11-24  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: me; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have tried these instructions, and with my Firefox (Mozilla/5.0
(Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920
Firefox/3.0.4) I get only the error that:

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol
(org-browse-url-store) isn't associated with any program.

I do NOT get prompted for the location of a program to run for this
protocol.

My attempts to just stick the program location into the about:config
entry also fail, with the same error.

I have tried setting it to

"/bin/sh /Users/rpg/bin/org-browse-url-store"

that doesn't work, either.

This error seems to me pretty much undebuggable.  Any suggestions?

thanks,