* Export to org?
@ 2009-07-29 23:31 Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-07-29 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi,

Is there an easy way to export an org file to another org file, stripping away
any subtrees that are tagged "noexport" or marked as comments?  The idea is to
discard anything that is also ignored by the other export formats, such as
HTML.  I would find this a useful feature to have, for example, for
distributing Org files to other people without showing subtrees that are still
works-in-progress.

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.

* Re: Export to org?
@ 2009-07-30  0:41 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-07-30  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hsiu-Khuern Tang <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there an easy way to export an org file to another org file, stripping away
> any subtrees that are tagged "noexport" or marked as comments?  The idea is to
> discard anything that is also ignored by the other export formats, such as
> HTML.  I would find this a useful feature to have, for example, for
> distributing Org files to other people without showing subtrees that are still
> works-in-progress.

Hi,

org-publish handles this now.  An entry like this:

                 :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)

in my org-publish-project-alist.

This produces both a .html and a .org file from the original .org file.
Any comments and subtrees marked with a noexport tag will not be
included in the exported org file.

More details on my complete setup is here:

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#PublishingProjects

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: Re: Export to org?
@ 2009-07-30  5:44   ` Hsiu-Khuern Tang
From: Hsiu-Khuern Tang @ 2009-07-30  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* On Thu 12:41AM +0000, 30 Jul 2009, Bernt Hansen (bernt@norang.ca) wrote:
> Hsiu-Khuern Tang <hsiu-khuern.tang@hp.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there an easy way to export an org file to another org file, stripping away
> > any subtrees that are tagged "noexport" or marked as comments?  The idea is to
> > discard anything that is also ignored by the other export formats, such as
> > HTML.  I would find this a useful feature to have, for example, for
> > distributing Org files to other people without showing subtrees that are still
> > works-in-progress.
>
> Hi,
>
> org-publish handles this now.  An entry like this:
>
>                  :publishing-function (org-publish-org-to-html org-publish-org-to-org)
>
> in my org-publish-project-alist.
>
> This produces both a .html and a .org file from the original .org file.
> Any comments and subtrees marked with a noexport tag will not be
> included in the exported org file.
>
> More details on my complete setup is here:
>
> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#PublishingProjects
>
> HTH,
> Bernt

This is exactly what I was looking for.  I must have skipped the chapter on
publishing in the Org manual.  Thanks a lot for the pointers!

--
Best,
Hsiu-Khuern.