* HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-23 13:13 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-23 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting export failures due to the org-version variable no longer
being defined.  See the following minimal debug output [1].  If I
manually give the org-version variable a value, e.g.,

  (setq org-version "special")

then export works as expected.  This can be re-created using the latest
git HEAD with

  $ emacs -Q

  (add-to-list 'load-path "path/to/org/lisp")
  (load "path/to/org/lisp/org.el")
  (org-reload)

  ;; open an Org-mode buffer
  ;; Export with C-c C-e h

Best,

Footnotes:
[1]  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable org-version)
  org-export-as-html(nil hidden)
  org-export-as-html-and-open(nil)
  call-interactively(org-export-as-html-and-open)
  org-export(nil)
  call-interactively(org-export nil nil)

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-23 15:32 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> I'm getting export failures due to the org-version variable no longer
> being defined.  See the following minimal debug output [1].  If I
> manually give the org-version variable a value, e.g.,

this issue comes from the new Makefile, which creates the org-version
variable at compile time.  I reported this to Achim yesterday and we
are looking for a solution.

In the meantime, if you don't want to compile (I do not) the stupid
workaround is to set org-version in your config...  but yeah, let's
fix this upstream ASAP.

 Bastien

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-23 15:49   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2012-04-23 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just noticed switching from the standard org-mode comming with emacs
23 to a recent version, there where no org-version command at all.
Under Arch-Linux they ask you to add (require 'org-install) to your
config. After doing so it was fine.
Not sure if this is related.

Torsten

@ 2012-04-23 16:04   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-23 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
> In the meantime, if you don't want to compile (I do not) the stupid
> workaround is to set org-version in your config...  but yeah, let's
> fix this upstream ASAP.

Again, the issue here is not compilation, but missing autoloads.

make autoloads

And if you still think you must override this, the thing(s) to set is

(defconst org-release)
(defconst org-git-release)

...which incidentally is what "make autoloads" will put into
org-install.el, with a docstring and all that.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-25 16:21     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-04-25 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien writes:
>> In the meantime, if you don't want to compile (I do not) the stupid
>> workaround is to set org-version in your config...  but yeah, let's
>> fix this upstream ASAP.
>
> Again, the issue here is not compilation, but missing autoloads.
>
> make autoloads
>
> And if you still think you must override this, the thing(s) to set is
>
> (defconst org-release)
> (defconst org-git-release)
>
> ...which incidentally is what "make autoloads" will put into
> org-install.el, with a docstring and all that.

I don't think make autoloads is an option for me at work...  I'm using
GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
and I don't have make available...

I use git under Cygwin to get the org-mode repository and access it from
NT Emacs.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-25 17:18       ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-04-25 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hello Bernt

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:21, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> Bastien writes:
>>> In the meantime, if you don't want to compile (I do not) the stupid
>>> workaround is to set org-version in your config...  but yeah, let's
>>> fix this upstream ASAP.
>>
>> Again, the issue here is not compilation, but missing autoloads.
>>
>> make autoloads
>>
>> And if you still think you must override this, the thing(s) to set is
>>
>> (defconst org-release)
>> (defconst org-git-release)
>>
>> ...which incidentally is what "make autoloads" will put into
>> org-install.el, with a docstring and all that.
>
> I don't think make autoloads is an option for me at work...  I'm using
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
> and I don't have make available...
>
> I use git under Cygwin to get the org-mode repository and access it from
> NT Emacs.

If you're using Cygwin you should be able to install make.  It's under
the devel section in the Cygwin installer.

Of course this won't help anyone who is unable to install Cygwin/Mingw
to use make, which means an alternate solution would be useful.

@ 2012-04-25 18:15       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-25 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen writes:
> I don't think make autoloads is an option for me at work...  I'm using
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
> and I don't have make available...
>
> I use git under Cygwin to get the org-mode repository and access it from
> NT Emacs.

That's exactly the same setup that I use at work.  You can easily use
the make from Cygwin with NTEmacs.  I've even posted an example local.mk
some time ago, something like this should get you started:

# local.mk Win7/NTemacs
CYGWIN += nodosfilewarning
prefix = C:/Freeware/Emacs-24.0.50
EMACS = $(prefix)/bin/emacs
lispdir = $(prefix)/site-lisp/org
SUDO =

Achim.

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-25 21:07         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-04-25 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello Bernt
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:21, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

>>> Again, the issue here is not compilation, but missing autoloads.
>>>
>>> make autoloads
>>>
>>> And if you still think you must override this, the thing(s) to set is
>>>
>>> (defconst org-release)
>>> (defconst org-git-release)
>>>
>>> ...which incidentally is what "make autoloads" will put into
>>> org-install.el, with a docstring and all that.
>>
>> I don't think make autoloads is an option for me at work...  I'm using
>> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2011-03-10 on 3249CTO
>> and I don't have make available...
>>
>> I use git under Cygwin to get the org-mode repository and access it from
>> NT Emacs.
>
> If you're using Cygwin you should be able to install make.  It's under
> the devel section in the Cygwin installer.
>
> Of course this won't help anyone who is unable to install Cygwin/Mingw
> to use make, which means an alternate solution would be useful.

I tried that... and installed emacs under Cygwin (so it can find emacs
to run emacs -batch) and then had to fix permissions on org-install
(since it's on a windows drive) before make autoloads worked.

I didn't spend any time trying to correct install locations in the
makefile.  I run org-mode without compiling any sources normally and
having to do the extra make step each time I move around the source tree
isn't going to be very enjoyable.  I have no idea if I need to rerun
this make autoloads command on a regular basis or not.

I'll continue working on the master branch tomorrow and see what breaks.

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-26  4:42           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-26  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen writes:
> I tried that... and installed emacs under Cygwin (so it can find emacs
> to run emacs -batch) and then had to fix permissions on org-install
> (since it's on a windows drive) before make autoloads worked.

It's preferrable to use NTEmacs for this step, even though the .elc
files should be compatible.

> I didn't spend any time trying to correct install locations in the
> makefile.  I run org-mode without compiling any sources normally and
> having to do the extra make step each time I move around the source tree
> isn't going to be very enjoyable.  I have no idea if I need to rerun
> this make autoloads command on a regular basis or not.

Yes and no.  As long as all the autoloaded functions continue to be in
the same load-file and their names don't change and there are no new
functions that need to be autoloaded, org-install.el effectively isn't
going to change.  But that's a deception, since there is no way you
could determine if it should have been changed unless you actually
generate it anew.

As I said, I'm still working to provide specifically for the case that
org-version.el is missing (which would normally produce an autoloaded
defconst org-version...) and injecting an org-version from looking at
the git version of the work-tree (if it finds one).  That will also
encompass an (autoloaded) function (with the load-file located in
UTILITIES/ most likely) that you can call in emacs to re-generate
org-install.el, since org-install.el is absolutely not optional.

So going forward make will not be a requirement for simply using org
either from Git or from tarball anymore.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-27  1:25             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2012-04-27  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bernt Hansen writes:
>> I tried that... and installed emacs under Cygwin (so it can find emacs
>> to run emacs -batch) and then had to fix permissions on org-install
>> (since it's on a windows drive) before make autoloads worked.
>
> It's preferrable to use NTEmacs for this step, even though the .elc
> files should be compatible.
>
>> I didn't spend any time trying to correct install locations in the
>> makefile.  I run org-mode without compiling any sources normally and
>> having to do the extra make step each time I move around the source tree
>> isn't going to be very enjoyable.  I have no idea if I need to rerun
>> this make autoloads command on a regular basis or not.
>
> Yes and no.  As long as all the autoloaded functions continue to be in
> the same load-file and their names don't change and there are no new
> functions that need to be autoloaded, org-install.el effectively isn't
> going to change.  But that's a deception, since there is no way you
> could determine if it should have been changed unless you actually
> generate it anew.
>
> As I said, I'm still working to provide specifically for the case that
> org-version.el is missing (which would normally produce an autoloaded
> defconst org-version...) and injecting an org-version from looking at
> the git version of the work-tree (if it finds one).  That will also
> encompass an (autoloaded) function (with the load-file located in
> UTILITIES/ most likely) that you can call in emacs to re-generate
> org-install.el, since org-install.el is absolutely not optional.
>
> So going forward make will not be a requirement for simply using org
> either from Git or from tarball anymore.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Achim.  I hope my problem report on
this issue wasn't taken as a complaint - it wasn't intended that way --
I just wanted to report what I perceived to be a problem and at the time
I didn't have time to mess with the setup so I just reverted to a
previous working state in git.

I'll redo my make autoloads after pointing at NT Emacs (tomorrow) and
will remove emacs from Cygwin since the only reason I installed it in
the first place was to try to get make autoloads to complete.

Your efforts on cleaning up the Makefile system for org-mode are really
appreciated.  I'll just add 'make autoloads' to my list of things to do
when updating my master branch in git.

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: HTML export fails with (void-variable org-version)
@ 2012-04-27  5:26               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-27  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen writes:
> Thanks for the detailed explanation Achim.  I hope my problem report on
> this issue wasn't taken as a complaint - it wasn't intended that way --

Don't worry, problem reports are appreciated (even in the form of
comaplints, which yours weren't).  As I said before, I do want to
support everything non-buggy that the old Makefile did.

> I'll redo my make autoloads after pointing at NT Emacs (tomorrow) and
> will remove emacs from Cygwin since the only reason I installed it in
> the first place was to try to get make autoloads to complete.

If you pull from latest Git you should get a Makefile that drops a
local.mk into your lap that you only need to edit (unless you already
have one).  It already has a default target that includes "autoloads".
It also updates the info documentation, which should work when you have
makeinfo on Cygwin.  If not, just put your own default target there
without "info", but having a current documentation comes highly
recommended.

> Your efforts on cleaning up the Makefile system for org-mode are really
> appreciated.  I'll just add 'make autoloads' to my list of things to do
> when updating my master branch in git.

That should be a only temporary measure, it will eventually work as it
did before — with some magic behind the curtains to DTRT(TM) instead of
relying on buggy behaviour.

Regards,
Achim.