* OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-02 18:54 Nathan Neff
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathan Neff @ 2012-11-02 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
be able to
export org documents to PDF?

Thanks,
--Nate

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-02 19:34 ` Chris Malone
From: Chris Malone @ 2012-11-02 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Nathan,

As you've discovered, the PDF export option uses (pdf)LaTeX.  There are several ports of LaTeX available, although I'm not sure which is the most minimal.  If you are using some package manager like MacPorts or homebrew, you might check there for some LaTeX distribution, usually called tex-live.

Another possible option would be to export to HTML and then use some additional software to convert HTML to PDF.  I'm not sure how useful or pretty the results of this process will be, but it might be worth a shot if you don't want to use LaTeX.

Chris

On Nov 2, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Nathan Neff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
> on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
> download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
> be able to
> export org documents to PDF?
>
> Thanks,
> --Nate

Chris Malone (malone@ucolick.org)

Dept. of Astronomy and Astrophysics
UC Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077

phone: 831-459-3809

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-02 19:41 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
> on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
> download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
> be able to
> export org documents to PDF?

Install LibreOffice and follow instructions in this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00027.html

@ 2012-11-02 20:02   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-11-02 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
> > on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
> > download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
> > be able to
> > export org documents to PDF?
>
> Install LibreOffice and follow instructions in this thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00027.html

I did a quick and dirty calculation on my Ubuntu 11.04 system like this:

,----
| $ apt-cache show libreoffice-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total += $2;} END {print total;}'
| 6026311
| $ apt-cache show texlive-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total += $2;} END {print total;}'
| 1419784
`----

So if Nathan objects to 2GB of TeX, I presume 6GB would be 3 (or perhaps
4, given my numbers) times more unacceptable :-)

Caveats:

o I haven't checked the calculation at all (not even to make sure the
  units are KB) - but the relative size of the numbers is telling
  nevertheless.

o There may be lots of extraneous packages in the lists that one could
  omit and that might make a big difference in the final numbers.

o Nathan may have Libre Office already installed for other reasons, in
  which case size considerations are moot.

Nick

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-02 21:49 ` Axel E. Retif
From: Axel E. Retif @ 2012-11-02 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/02/2012 12:54 PM, Nathan Neff wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter, on
> OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
> download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order
> to be able to export org documents to PDF?

You might try BasicTeX (64 MB), a minimal MacTeX distribution:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

Best

Axel

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-03  5:57     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-03  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
>> > on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
>> > download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
>> > be able to
>> > export org documents to PDF?
>>
>> Install LibreOffice and follow instructions in this thread:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00027.html
>>

> I did a quick and dirty calculation on my Ubuntu 11.04 system like this:
>
> ,----
> | $ apt-cache show libreoffice-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total +=
> | $2;} END {print total;}'
> | 6026311
> | $ apt-cache show texlive-* | grep Installed | awk '{ total += $2;}
> | END {print total;}'
> | 1419784
> `----
>
> So if Nathan objects to 2GB of TeX, I presume 6GB would be 3 (or perhaps
> 4, given my numbers) times more unacceptable :-)

According to these links:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download  (This lands in x86/Debian page)
http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.6.3/deb/x86/LibO_3.6.3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz.mirrorlist

the size of the package is 154M (161632133 bytes).

@ 2012-11-03  7:41       ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2012-11-03  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/3/12 6:57 AM, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

>> So if Nathan objects to 2GB of TeX, I presume 6GB would be 3 (or perhaps
>> 4, given my numbers) times more unacceptable :-)
>
> According to these links:
> http://www.libreoffice.org/download  (This lands in x86/Debian page)
> http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/3.6.3/deb/x86/LibO_3.6.3_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz.mirrorlist
>
> the size of the package is 154M (161632133 bytes).

...and the installed LibreOffice.app weighs in at 592 MB on my Mac, an
order of magnitude less than suggested above.

I used BasicTex before, to save space on an old laptop. As I recall,
it complained about missing some packages that Org puts in the header
by default. Being a latex noob, I didn't bother to install them, but
just set them to nil in org-export-latex-default-packages-alist, and
never missed them.

Yours,
Christian

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-03  9:07         ` Axel E. Retif
From: Axel E. Retif @ 2012-11-03  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/03/2012 01:41 AM, Christian Moe wrote:

[...]

> I used BasicTex before, to save space on an old laptop. As I recall, it
> complained about missing some packages that Org puts in the header by
> default. Being a latex noob, I didn't bother to install them, but just
> set them to nil in org-export-latex-default-packages-alist, and never
> missed them.

I never used BasicTeX (MacTeX yes, though now I'm working on Linux), but
I know it has tlmgr (TeXLive Manager), with which you can install
missing packages from the TeXLive distribution:

sudo tlmgr install <package>

I don't know if BasicTeX or MacTeX-Additions

http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

have the wonderful GUI for tlmgr, TeX Live Utility (TLU), but the OP can
ask in the very helpful TeX on Mac OS X mailing list:

Best

Axel

* Re: OSX to PDF: Minimal Install
@ 2012-11-05 14:54   ` Nathan Neff
From: Nathan Neff @ 2012-11-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to convert org-mode documents to PDF using the exporter,
>> on OSX, but it appears that I'd have to download MacTex which is a 2GB
>> download.  Is there anything smaller that I could download in order to
>> be able to
>> export org documents to PDF?
>
> Install LibreOffice and follow instructions in this thread:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00027.html

Hello Jambunathan,

I like this solution the best, as I already have LibreOffice installed.

However, I am having trouble following the instructions in that thread.

I cannot even get a simple .org file to export using the C-c C-e o
command -- I get the error message "Symbol's value as variable is void: err".

I have LibreOffice installed (on OSX) in /Applications/LibreOffice.
Some additional
information from Emacs/org-mode/org-odt is here:

OVERVIEW [2 times]
Export buffer:
Debug (org-odt): Searching for OpenDocument schema files...
Debug (org-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/schema/...
Debug (org-odt): Using schema files under /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/schema/
Debug (org-odt): Searching for OpenDocument styles files...
Debug (org-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/...
Debug (org-odt): Using styles under /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/
call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err
Export buffer:
call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err

I am using org-odt.el version 24.1 and org-mode version
7.8.11 (release_7.8.11-723-g0f3b6

I suspected that "soffice" was not in Emacs' path, so I added
/Applications/LibreOffice/Contents/MacOS to the path, but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
--Nate

@ 2012-11-05 20:16     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-11-05 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Neff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nathan Neff <nathan.neff@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using org-odt.el version 24.1 and org-mode version
> 7.8.11 (release_7.8.11-723-g0f3b6

$ git log 0f3b6

fatal: ambiguous argument '0f3b6': unknown revision or path not in the
working tree.  Use '--' to separate paths from revisions
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That looks suspicious to me.  I see no such commit in maint or master
branch.  The error that you report is not something I remember to have
seen in the past.  Can you not switch to 7.9.* versions?

You can install the latest version via M-x list-packages RET.  Follow
the ELPA link from Org homepage: http://orgmode.org/,
http://orgmode.org/elpa.html.

For exporting to pdf, you can specify a value of "pdf" at

    M-x customize-variable RET org-export-odt-preferred-output-format RET

or while visiting Org file do,

   M-x add-file-local-variable RET org-export-odt-preferred-output-format
    RET "pdf" RET

and revisit (C-x C-v) that file.

or You can follow the bind suggestion by Nicolas here:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-09/msg00039.html

(Note that Nicolas' suggestion has a typo)