* Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-11-30 22:56 Torsten Anders
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-11-30 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear all,

Since a while I cannot export to OpenDocument anymore. Instead, I always get the error

  call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err

I just updated to Org-mode version 7.9.2 and the problem persists. In the archives I found exactly the same problem mentioned (messages from 11.07.2012 with subject Compile error in org-odt.el in latest master), but I do not understand the solution found then (Rainer Stengele reported that he "missed the unzip.exe and now it works").

Any help? Thanks!

Best wishes,
Torsten

--
Dr Torsten Anders
Course Leader, Music Technology

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-01  6:52 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-01  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

Symptoms tell me that you have a hoaxed installation.

Try this and see if it helps

    M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Check where all org-odt.el is installed.  Ideally you should see only
two paths - one from vanilla Emacs and one from directory that you are
trying to use right now.

Try this next.

    M-x locate-library RET org-compat RET
    M-x locate-library RET org-odt RET

They should come from the same directory tree.

Try this next.

    M-x load-library RET org-compat RET
    M-x load-library RET org-odt RET

    (Order of loading should be preserved)

Now export.

Look inside your messages buffer and examine what all ODT exporter is
trying to do.

If you pass the censored logs from above commands then I or someone in
this list can guess what is possibly wrong.

From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-01  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

(Ignore my earlier mail.  Follow instruction in this mail instead.)

Symptoms tell me that you have a hoaxed installation.

Try this and see if it helps

    M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Check where all org-odt.el is installed.  Ideally you should see only
two paths - one from vanilla Emacs and one from directory that you are
trying to use right now.

Try this next.

    M-x locate-library RET org-compat RET
    M-x locate-library RET org-odt RET

    M-x locate-library RET org-compat.el RET
    M-x locate-library RET org-odt.el RET

    (Note the presence of `.el' in later two commands)

They should all come from the same directory tree.

Try this next.

    M-x load-library RET org-compat.el RET
    M-x load-library RET org-odt.el RET

    (Order of loading should be preserved.  `.el' SHOULD be there)

Now export.

Look inside your messages buffer and examine what all ODT exporter is
trying to do.

In all likelihood, you will have a successful export.

For some more debugging, you can do,

    M-x locate-library RET org-install RET
    M-x locate-library RET org-autoloads RET
    M-x locate-library RET org-loaddefs RET

    (Try again the above commands with `.el' appended)

Ideally your .emacs MUST have (require ') for only one of these
libraries.

If you pass the censored logs from above commands then I or someone in
this list can guess what is possibly wrong.  But my guess is above steps
should suffice to figure out the remedy.

> Dear all,
>
> Since a while I cannot export to OpenDocument anymore. Instead, I
> always get the error
>
>   call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err
>
> I just updated to Org-mode version 7.9.2 and the problem persists. In
> the archives I found exactly the same problem mentioned (messages from
> 11.07.2012 with subject Compile error in org-odt.el in latest master),
> but I do not understand the solution found then (Rainer Stengele
> reported that he "missed the unzip.exe and now it works").
>
> Any help? Thanks!
>
> Best wishes,
> Torsten
>
> --
> Dr Torsten Anders
> Course Leader, Music Technology
> University of Bedfordshire
> Park Square, Room A315
> http://www.torsten-anders.de

* Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-01 22:10 Torsten Anders
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-12-01 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear Jambunathan,

Thanks a lot for your help and providing such detailed debugging suggestions. To summarise, after I loaded the *.el files with load-library as you suggested I got the Opendocument export working. However, I still do not understand why this is not working normally.

What now. As a hack I could put something in ~/.emacs that loads these libraries manually, but there is likely a better solution.

I detail all debugging outputs below. Any suggestion where to go from here? Thanks a lot again!

>   M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Basically, subdirectories from two directories are loaded. One is the standard Emacs (in my case Aquamacs based on GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 at  /Applications/Mozart/Mozart.app/Contents/Resources/) and the other is my local emacs lisp directory at ~/emacs/.

The full output is copied to the very end of this email.

> Check where all org-odt.el

When searching the whole file system only a single file org-odt.el is found in the load-path (in org-mode/lisp). It appears that this file is not part of my vanilla Emacs (Aquamacs, see above).

>   M-x locate-library RET org-compat RET

In the following I am simply copying the message from *Messages*

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.elc

>   M-x locate-library RET org-odt RET

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-odt.elc

>   M-x locate-library RET org-compat.el RET

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el

>   M-x locate-library RET org-odt.el RET

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-odt.el

>   M-x load-library RET org-compat.el RET
>   M-x load-library RET org-odt.el RET

Done. Export works afterwards!  The output in *Messages* is listed after this email.

>   M-x locate-library RET org-install RET

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el

(Note the *.el, it is not compiled)

>   M-x locate-library RET org-autoloads RET

No library org-autoloads in search path

>   M-x locate-library RET org-loaddefs RET

Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs.el

(Again, no compiled file)

>   (Try again the above commands with `.el' appended)

It is always the same result as about.

> Ideally your .emacs MUST have (require ') for only one of these
> libraries.

None of these libraries is actually loaded in ~/.emacs -- I recently commented out (require 'org-install) but some recent message from org-mode suggested to remove that. However, adding (require 'org-install) makes not difference.

Any idea how to resolve this? Again thanks a lot!

Best,
Torsten

>   M-x load-library RET org-compat.el RET
>   M-x load-library RET org-odt.el RET

Debug (org-odt): Searching for OpenDocument styles files...
Debug (org-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/... [2 times]
Debug (org-odt): Trying /Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/etc/styles/...
Debug (org-odt): Using styles under /Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/etc/styles/
Export buffer:
Export subtree:
Exporting to ODT using org-lparse...
Using vacuous schema
LaTeX to MathML converter not available. Using dvipng instead.
Exporting...
ODT export done, pushed to kill ring and clipboard
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/meta.xml
Using vacuous schema
Saving file /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/styles.xml...
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/styles.xml
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/mimetype
Using vacuous schema
Saving file /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/styles.xml...
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/styles.xml
(No changes need to be saved)
Saving file /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/META-INF/manifest.xml...
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/META-INF/manifest.xml
Saving file /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/content.xml...
Wrote /var/folders/Mc/Mc7BB2F3GxOLYJol0POQa++++TM/-Tmp-/odf-1712VN/content.xml
Using vacuous schema
(No changes need to be saved)
Creating odt file...
Running zip -mX0 MusicConstraintsBookProject.odt mimetype
Running zip -rmTq MusicConstraintsBookProject.odt .
Created /Users/torsten/texte/Bewerbungen/grant-applications/AHRC-application/MusicConstraintsBookProject.odt
Parsing archive file...done.
Opening file /Users/torsten/texte/Bewerbungen/grant-applications/AHRC-application/MusicConstraintsBookProject.odt
Running open /Users/torsten/texte/Bewerbungen/grant-applications/AHRC-application/MusicConstraintsBookProject.odt...done

>   M-x list-load-path-shadows RET

Checking 4 files in ~/emacs/kiwanami-emacs-calfw-v1.1...
Checking 5 files in ~/emacs/org-mode/contrib/babel/langs...
Checking 55 files in ~/emacs/org-mode/contrib/lisp...
Checking 225 files in ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp...
Checking 2 files in ~/emacs/planner-20060918/contrib...
Checking 44 files in ~/emacs/planner-20060918...
Checking 27 files in ~/emacs/muse-14Jan2009/lisp...
Checking 14 files in ~/emacs/magit-1.1.1...
Checking 10 files in /Applications/Mozart/Mozart.app/Contents/Resources//share/elisp...
Checking 16 files in /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/site-lisp...
Checking 13 files in ~/emacs...
Checking 42 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex...
Checking 6 files in /Users/torsten/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs...
Checking 597 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp...
Checking 58 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/url...
Checking 90 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes...
Checking 168 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes...
Checking 57 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/play...
Checking 100 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/org...
Checking 48 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/nxml...
Checking 114 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net...
Checking 48 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mh-e...
Checking 69 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail...
Checking 58 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/language...
Checking 65 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/international...
Checking 264 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus...
Checking 57 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/eshell...
Checking 70 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/erc...
Checking 52 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emulation...
Checking 138 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp...
Checking 2 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/contrib...
Checking 24 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/calc...
Checking 35 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs...
Checking 13 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/macosx...
Checking 11 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/oneonone...
Checking 3 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/tabbar...
Checking 43 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete...
Checking 1 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/leim...
Ignoring redundant directory /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/
Checking 20 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes...
Ignoring redundant directory /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/macosx
Ignoring redundant directory /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/oneonone
Ignoring redundant directory /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/tabbar
Checking 16 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/elib...
Checking 42 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/emacs-rails...
Checking 13 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/haskell-mode...
Checking 9 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/matlab-emacs...
Checking 8 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml...
Checking 4 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/python-mode...
Checking 103 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/ess-mode/lisp...
Checking 3 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/alts...
Checking 23 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/nxhtml...
Checking 18 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/related...
Checking 62 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/util...
Checking 1 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/python-mode/completion...
Checking 1 files in /Applications/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/nxhtml/etc/schema...

@ 2012-12-02  9:54 ` Achim Gratz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-02  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Anders writes:
> None of these libraries is actually loaded in ~/.emacs -- I recently
> commented out (require 'org-install) but some recent message from
> org-mode suggested to remove that. However, adding (require
> org-install) makes not difference.

Try adding (require 'org) or alternatively — if you know you never
use the Org version that comes with Emacs (that means you need to be
extra careful with things like 'emacs -Q') — (require 'org-loaddefs).

Bastien, if you read this: here's your real-world example of how things
don't work if the wrong autoload definitions are used.  Now, can we
please fix this again?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-02 21:14 Torsten Anders
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-12-02 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear Achim,

Thanks a lot for your help!

> Try adding (require 'org) or alternatively — if you know you never
> use the Org version that comes with Emacs (that means you need to be
> extra careful with things like 'emacs -Q') — (require 'org-loaddefs).

I tried both adding (require 'org) and (require 'org-loaddefs) to ~/.emacs but they both make no difference to this problem, I still get the error

  call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err

Instead, adding the following to ~/.emacs does work, but this seems to be just a hack. Should I really use this?

(load-library "org-compat.el")
(load-library "org-odt.el")

> here's your real-world example of how things don't work if the wrong autoload definitions are used.

Does this mean there are possibly more things that did not load as they should?

Thanks a lot again!

Best wishes,
Torsten

--

@ 2012-12-03  5:53 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-03  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

Achim is the one who made autoload changes.  I am not familiar with his
changes because I can jump the steps and get a working setup.

I am telling this upfront, because Achim and I may share different
instructions (which may amount to having the /same effect/) but if you
mix the instructions you may end up being confused.  So stick to Achim
or my instructions.  My instructions are likely to be hackier.

>>   M-x locate-library RET org-install RET
>
> Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el
>
> (Note the *.el, it is not compiled)
>
>>   M-x locate-library RET org-autoloads RET
>
> No library org-autoloads in search path
>
>>   M-x locate-library RET org-loaddefs RET
>
> Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs.el
>
> (Again, no compiled file)
>
>>   (Try again the above commands with `.el' appended)
>
> It is always the same result as about.
>
>> Ideally your .emacs MUST have (require ') for only one of these
>> libraries.
>
> None of these libraries is actually loaded in ~/.emacs -- I recently
> commented out (require 'org-install) but some recent message from
> org-mode suggested to remove that. However, adding (require
> org-install) makes not difference.

1. Check the timestamps of org-install and org-loaddefs.  Were they
   created almost at the same time.
2. Does your vanilla emacs have a org-loaddefs in lisp/org directory.

Your init file scrutinized for errors.  In the latter part of the
E-mail, I share how you make sure that it is the init file that is in
error.  For now, scan your .emacs and convince yourself of the following
requirements.

In your .emacs,

    M-x occur RET org RET

The first occurrence of org in the *occur* buffer should be the line
that modifies the load-path.

The second occurrence should be that of your (require 'org-install) or
(require 'org-loaddefs)

You will also see lines from `customize-set-variables' block which you
may pretend doesn't exist.

There should be /no other/ references to org particularly (require
'org-whatever) statements.

Note down any deviations from this.

> Dear Jambunathan,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and providing such detailed debugging
> suggestions. To summarise, after I loaded the *.el files with
> load-library as you suggested I got the Opendocument export
> working. However, I still do not understand why this is not working
> normally.

The problem is org-odt gets on top of the wrong org-compat.  The
org-compat in vanilla Emacs is wrong while that in your work-area is
right.

> What now. As a hack I could put something in ~/.emacs that loads these
> libraries manually, but there is likely a better solution.
>
> I detail all debugging outputs below. Any suggestion where to go from
> here? Thanks a lot again!

I would like to understand what is happening.

Phase-1
=======

    1. Go to your vanilla Emacs directory.  Temporarily move your lisp/org
       to some other directory.  Let's say ~/vanilla-org/.  This way you are
       sure that there is no way the wrong org-compat.elc is getting in the
       way of you Org compilation in step 3.

    2. Go to your work area.

    3. Compile. make <whatever>.

    4. emacs -Q  (Note the -Q)

    5. (push load-path "~/your/org/checkout")

    6. M-x load-library RET org-odt RET

    7. Export to ODT.  It should succeed.

Phase-2
=======

1. Move back your ~/vanilla-org to lisp/org.  Restoring the old order.
2. Repeat steps 4-7 from Phase-1.
3. See whether export succeeds.

       If failure, the bug is in your init file is broken and has to be
       scrutinized for correctness.

       If success, I really cannot imagine what could possibly be broken
       in your setup.  Atleast you have a working setup with new order.

Phase-3
=======

I will share further instructions on debugging your init file, if
Phase-2, Step 3 resulted in a failure.

>>   M-x list-load-path-shadows RET
>

> Basically, subdirectories from two directories are loaded. One is the
> standard Emacs (in my case Aquamacs based on GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 at
> /Applications/Mozart/Mozart.app/Contents/Resources/) and the other is
> my local emacs lisp directory at ~/emacs/.
>
> The full output is copied to the very end of this email.

Trailing part of directory names is truncated and I am having difficulty
making out what is in there.

But it doesn't matter for now.

@ 2012-12-03  5:54 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-03  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

Achim is the one who made autoload changes.  I am not familiar with his
changes because I can jump the steps and get a working setup.

I am telling this upfront, because Achim and I may share different
instructions (which may amount to having the /same effect/) but if you
mix the instructions, you may end up being confused.  So stick to Achim
or my instructions.  My instructions are likely to be hackier.

>>   M-x locate-library RET org-install RET
>
> Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el
>
> (Note the *.el, it is not compiled)
>
>>   M-x locate-library RET org-autoloads RET
>
> No library org-autoloads in search path
>
>>   M-x locate-library RET org-loaddefs RET
>
> Library is file ~/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-loaddefs.el
>
> (Again, no compiled file)
>
>>   (Try again the above commands with `.el' appended)
>
> It is always the same result as about.
>
>> Ideally your .emacs MUST have (require ') for only one of these
>> libraries.
>
> None of these libraries is actually loaded in ~/.emacs -- I recently
> commented out (require 'org-install) but some recent message from
> org-mode suggested to remove that. However, adding (require
> org-install) makes not difference.

1. Check the timestamps of org-install and org-loaddefs.  Were they
   created almost at the same time.
2. Does your vanilla emacs have a org-loaddefs in lisp/org directory.

Your init file scrutinized for errors.  In the latter part of the
E-mail, I share how you make sure that it is the init file that is in
error.  For now, scan your .emacs and convince yourself of the following
requirements.

In your .emacs,

    M-x occur RET org RET

The first occurrence of org in the *occur* buffer should be the line
that modifies the load-path.

The second occurrence should be that of your (require 'org-install) or
(require 'org-loaddefs)

You will also see lines from `customize-set-variables' block which you
may pretend doesn't exist.

There should be /no other/ references to org particularly (require
'org-whatever) statements.

Note down any deviations from this.

> Dear Jambunathan,
>
> Thanks a lot for your help and providing such detailed debugging
> suggestions. To summarise, after I loaded the *.el files with
> load-library as you suggested I got the Opendocument export
> working. However, I still do not understand why this is not working
> normally.

The problem is org-odt gets compiled on top of the wrong org-compat.
The org-compat in vanilla Emacs is wrong (for our purposes) while that
in your work-area is right.

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-12-03  6:01 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-03  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

Torsten Anders <torsten.anders@beds.ac.uk> writes:

> One is the standard Emacs (in my case Aquamacs based on GNU Emacs
> 23.3.50.1 at /Applications/Mozart/Mozart.app/Contents/Resources/) and
> the other is my local emacs lisp directory at ~/emacs/.

50 in your Emacs version is an indication that it is a pre-pretest
version of Emacs.  It seems you are OK with runnning a
non-released/unstable Emacs.

I am not sure whether the port below is an Aquamacs.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2012-11/msg00472.html

It is Emacs 24.2.90.  One major version up and also a pre-test.  You can
read the reaction of people in that thread.  That version has a fairly
recent version of all org files.  Notably an old org-compat that is
/very close/ to new org-compat.  If the new port works, then you really
don't have to bother but just carry on with your work and bother less
about Org.

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-03  6:46   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-03  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Bastien, if you read this: here's your real-world example of how things
> don't work if the wrong autoload definitions are used.  Now, can we
> please fix this again?

I'm reading this, I will look at this issue again when we can make
entirely sure the problems of the OP are related to this.

 Bastien

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-03  7:54   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-03  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:
> The problem is org-odt gets compiled on top of the wrong org-compat.
> The org-compat in vanilla Emacs is wrong (for our purposes) while that
> in your work-area is right.

There is the slight problem that org-{,-e-}odt does not (require 'org-compat)
and org-condition-case-unless-debug (which is only used by these two files) is
itself not autoloaded, plus it is called from inside in a macro.  I'm not
entirely sure what happens for the OP since I can't reproduce the issue, but it
would be worth a try to add that require(s) if only to clean thing up.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-03  8:08 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-03  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Anders <torsten.anders <at> beds.ac.uk> writes:
> I tried both adding (require 'org) and (require 'org-loaddefs) to ~/.emacs
> but they both make no difference to this problem, I still get the error
>
>   call-interactively: Symbol's value as variable is void: err

Yes, that problem is apparently someplace else.  I'll let Jambunathan have a go
first.

> Instead, adding the following to ~/.emacs does work, but this seems
> to be just a hack. Should I really use this?
>
> (load-library "org-compat.el")
> (load-library "org-odt.el")

If the problem is where I think it is, then a (require 'org-compat) should be a
valid workaround until the final fix is in Org.

> Does this mean there are possibly more things that did not load as they should?

The combination of the version of Org in your version of Emacs and a more recent
Org can't be expected to work correctly in all cases unless you add one of the
requires I've shown.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-03 15:51   ` Torsten Anders
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-12-03 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear Jambunathan,

Again, thanks a lot for all your feedback.

On 3 Dec 2012, at 06:01, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Torsten Anders <torsten.anders@beds.ac.uk> writes:
>> One is the standard Emacs (in my case Aquamacs based on GNU Emacs
>> 23.3.50.1)
>
> 50 in your Emacs version is an indication that it is a pre-pretest
> version of Emacs.  It seems you are OK with runnning a
> non-released/unstable Emacs.

This is the latest version of Aquamacs (http://aquamacs.org/), version 2.4. On a Mac, Aquamacs is by far the most convenient Emacs implementation I know of, if only for the antialiased font support and how easily font sizes are changed. The development version of Aquamacs uses Emacs 24, but I would like to avoid using that Aquamacs version before it is stable.

Anyway, I assume I am not the only Aquamacs user on this list :)  So, if the reported problem is due to Aquamacs then quite likely I am not the only one with this problem.

I will go through your detailed list of suggestions a bit later. Thanks a lot again for your help!

Best wishes,
Torsten

@ 2012-12-04  5:33     ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2012-12-04  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Anders; +Cc: Org-mode

> I will go through your detailed list of suggestions a bit
> later. Thanks a lot again for your help!

I hope you do revert with your observations on broken setup.

In my experience, most users don't :-).

There is some confusion around the area of macros and autoloads.
Something is amiss.  Only non-programmers seem to run in to this and it
has been very difficult to understand what is happening on their setup,
without their co-operation.

Here is another suggestion.  A bit easy one though.  This will be
archived and will serve as a written hint to debug macro/autoload
issues.

When the err happens,

1. Load Emacs like this.  Adjust the `-L's.  Note also the -Q.

   emacs --debug-init  -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp  -L
   ~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp -Q

2. M-x load-library RET org-odt RET

3. M-x ielm RET

   Here is a sample session both for org-odt and org-e-odt.  Sample
   illustrates the sequence of events that led org-compat.el to be
   loaded.

   The sequence below is courtesy this suggestion/thread:
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-11/msg00227.html

   So the load chain is:
     org-compat <= org <= org-exp <= org-lparse <= org-odt

    ,----
    | *** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-compat 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org-exp.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-exp 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org-lparse.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-lparse 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org-odt.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-odt 'require)
    | nil
    `----

   So the load chain is:
     org-compat <= org <= org-element <= org-export <= org-e-odt

    ,----
    | *** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-compat 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org-element.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-element 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-export.el"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-export 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp/org-e-odt.elc"
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-e-odt 'require)
    | nil
    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-macs 'require)
    | "/home/kjambunathan/src/org-mode/lisp/org.elc"
    `----

ps: I hope I am invoking `symbol-file' properly.

* Re: Opendocument export causes error
@ 2012-12-24 22:20       ` Torsten Anders
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-12-24 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear Jambunathan and others,

Apologies for my very late response in concerning the difficulties loading certain org-files related to Opendocument export (unfortunately, I have very little time for things like research in my job now, and this is a very busy time with assessment marking and everything :)

To summarise at first, the results in my 2nd IELM session (at the end of the message below) differed clearly from those in your kindly provided template -- in several cases symbol-file returned nil instead a path, and for (symbol-file 'org-macs 'require) it returns a different path that in your template. Does that perhaps point towards the problem?

Here is the full story. Please remember that I cannot not use the OpenDocument export, because -- as far as I understood -- (the correct version of) "org-compat.el" and "org-odt.el" are not loaded. This is perhaps caused by the fact that the Emacs I am using (the latest stable release of Aquamacs, version 2.4) is based on the rather old GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1. Aquamacs is widely used on the Mac platform, so likely I am not the only one with these problems.

I temporarily fixed my problem by loading the respective libraries manually in my ~/.emacs file as below, but as others may also have this problem this is probably not the best and certainly not a clean solution.

;; TMP hack to get OpenDocument export working again
(load-library "org-compat.el")
(load-library "org-odt.el")

Anyway, I finally ran the tests you suggested (thanks a lot for detailing these!).

> 1. Load Emacs like this.  Adjust the `-L's.  Note also the -Q.
>
>   emacs --debug-init  -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp  -L ~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp -Q

Aquamacs started. Clearly, Aquamacs was not fully loaded (e.g., standard Mac short-cuts where not yet defined). Anyway, it output the following message in *Messages*

Aquamacs is based on GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU/Linux system. It is Free Software: you can improve and redistribute it under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. (C) 2011 D. Reitter. No Warranty.
ns-handle-drag-file: Symbol's value as variable is void: one-buffer-one-frame-mode

To double check, I confirmed the Emacs version.

GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2011-10-25 on braeburn.aquamacs.org

> 2. M-x load-library RET org-odt RET

Debug (org-odt): Searching for OpenDocument schema files...
Debug (org-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/schema/... [2 times]
Debug (org-odt): No OpenDocument schema files installed
Debug (org-odt): Searching for OpenDocument styles files...
Debug (org-odt): Trying /usr/share/emacs/etc/org/styles/... [2 times]
Debug (org-odt): Trying /Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/etc/styles/...
Debug (org-odt): Using styles under /Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/etc/styles/

> 3. M-x ielm RET

> | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-compat 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-exp.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-exp 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-lparse.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-lparse 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-odt.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-odt 'require)

nil

I restarted Aquamacs and repeated all above except for the previous ielm session (just in case, as I do not know whether symbol-file has any side effects).

>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-compat 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-exp.elc"
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-element 'require)
nil
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-export 'require)
nil
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-e-odt 'require)
nil
>    | ELISP> (symbol-file 'org-macs 'require)
"/Users/torsten/emacs/org-mode/lisp/org-exp.elc"

Again, thanks a lot for your help!

Best wishes,
Torsten

@ 2012-12-25 21:58       ` Torsten Anders
From: Torsten Anders @ 2012-12-25 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Dear Jambunathan and others,

Apologies for resending this message, but my email from yesterday seemingly did not arrive.

@ 2012-12-30 10:09     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-30 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@NexGo.DE> writes:

> There is the slight problem that org-{,-e-}odt does not (require 'org-compat)
> and org-condition-case-unless-debug (which is only used by these two files) is
> itself not autoloaded, plus it is called from inside in a macro.  I'm not
> entirely sure what happens for the OP since I can't reproduce the issue, but it
> would be worth a try to add that require(s) if only to clean thing up.

I added (require 'org-compat) to org-odt.el and org-e-odt.el.

But... I'm in favor of simply using `condition-case' instead of
`org-condition-case-unless-debug'.  I'm not fan of all these debugging
stuff within org-odt.el / org-e-odt.el.

--
 Bastien