* [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode
@ 2013-06-11 19:25 Rüdiger Sonderfeld
From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld @ 2013-06-11 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I've started writing BibELTeX as an alternative to =ox-bibtex.el=.

https://github.com/ruediger/bibeltex

Instead of calling =bibtex2html= it uses the functionality from =org-
bibtex.el= to parse the BibTeX file and generates org-mode format for it. This
has the advantage that it works with any output format (latex, html, odt,
ascii, ...) and that it does not require external tools.

BibELTeX is currently in a very early stage of development.  The biggest
design issue is the style format.  Currently I use a =format-spec= like format
which is not very good to work with (See =bibeltex-style-default=).

Please feel free to criticise, comment, and open pull requests!

Regards
Rüdiger

* Re: [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode
@ 2013-06-11 23:35 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-11 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rüdiger Sonderfeld <ruediger@c-plusplus.de> writes:

> I've started writing BibELTeX as an alternative to =ox-bibtex.el=.
>
> https://github.com/ruediger/bibeltex

Would you consider providing a test file showing off its features?

> Instead of calling =bibtex2html= it uses the functionality from =org-
> bibtex.el= to parse the BibTeX file and generates org-mode format for it. This
> has the advantage that it works with any output format (latex, html, odt,
> ascii, ...) and that it does not require external tools.

I'm skeptical but probably it is 'cause I've misunderstood something!
Someone put a lot of thought into writing e.g. biblatex or
odt-bibliographies.  Surely(?) we would want to leverage upon those
and only have org-support insofar as serving some backend-specific
parser enough information to do its work?

–Rasmus

--
May the Force be with you

* Re: [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode
@ 2013-06-12 10:48   ` Rüdiger Sonderfeld
From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld @ 2013-06-12 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Rasmus <rasmus <at> gmx.us> writes:

> Rüdiger Sonderfeld <ruediger <at> c-plusplus.de> writes:
>
> > I've started writing BibELTeX as an alternative to =ox-bibtex.el=.
> >
> > https://github.com/ruediger/bibeltex
>
> Would you consider providing a test file showing off its features?

I added a file test/example.org.  Put bibeltex.el somewhere in your load-path
and require it.  This should be enough to make it work (use unload-feature to
remove it again).

You can then export the document to any format you like.  Good test case is
using org-mode export (ox-org.el).

> I'm skeptical but probably it is 'cause I've misunderstood something!
> Someone put a lot of thought into writing e.g. biblatex or
> odt-bibliographies.  Surely(?) we would want to leverage upon those
> and only have org-support insofar as serving some backend-specific
> parser enough information to do its work?

Certainly.  BibELTeX is designed to do this.  For LaTeX export it just
generates the corresponding LaTeX instructions (can be adopted even for
biblatex).

But except for LaTeX there doesn't seem to be a real support for bibliography.
It can be simulated for html using bibtex2html (ox-bibtex.el).  But even that
is not compatible with biber/biblatex.  That's the reason behind BibELTeX.

Regards

* Re: [RFC] BibELTeX: native bibtex support in org-mode
@ 2013-06-12 13:31     ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-06-12 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM, Rüdiger Sonderfeld
<ruediger@c-plusplus.de> wrote:
> Rasmus <rasmus <at> gmx.us> writes:
>

>> Rüdiger Sonderfeld <ruediger <at> c-plusplus.de> writes:
>>
>> > I've started writing BibELTeX as an alternative to =ox-bibtex.el=.
>> >
>> > https://github.com/ruediger/bibeltex
>>
>> Would you consider providing a test file showing off its features?
>
> I added a file test/example.org.  Put bibeltex.el somewhere in your load-path
> and require it.  This should be enough to make it work (use unload-feature to
> remove it again).
>
> You can then export the document to any format you like.  Good test case is
> using org-mode export (ox-org.el).

Thank you for this, I've been waiting for this capability a long time.
I look forward to giving it a more through test!

Best,
Ista