* Moving footnotes
@ 2014-05-21 12:23 Leonard Randall
From: Leonard Randall @ 2014-05-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,
One of the things I really like about org-mode is the ability to quickly
move material between projects. For instance, I sometimes write material as
a conference paper and want to use some sections in my thesis. I also like
to keep a file with old chapter drafts for later reference (I could just
use git for this, but keeping an old-drafts file around makes some jobs
more convenient). One issue that I am running into is that when I move
material with org-refile, footnotes defined in the Footnote section do not
move with it.  Additionally, if I try to export a subtree as an org buffer,
it does not take footnote definitions with it.

The obvious workaround for both problems is to define footnotes inline.
Another option (the one that I am using currently) is to set
org-footnote-section to nil, and to set org-footnote-auto-label to 'random.
This way footnotes are kept at the bottom of the section, so they move with
refile, and they have randomly generated names, so they won't conflict with
any footnote definitions in the destination file.

This solution works, but I wondered if there was any way to get org-refile
and org-export-org to take footnotes definitions with them, wherever they
are located.
With org-export-org, this seems especially important as backends are
supposed to faithfully export footnotes with their definitions.

Additionally, is there a way to easily convert numbered footnotes to
randomly named footnotes?

Thanks,

 Leonard