* Why does v8.2.10 include such an old version of ox-html.el?
@ 2014-12-08 18:19 Michel Schinz
From: Michel Schinz @ 2014-12-08 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I recently wanted org to export SVG images as HTML objects instead of
images and, browsing the mailing list, I found a thread dating back
from January 2014 [1] addressing that issue. In that thread, Rick
Frankel says that he applied a patch to ox-html.el for that, and
searching for it in the git repo, I found the commit (e955be90),
dating back from January 16, 2014.

Now what baffles me is that the contents of this patch is *not*
included in version 8.2.10 of org, despite the fact that v8.2.10 was
released 10 month after the commit was made. Even more surprising to
me, the version of org distributed through ELPA (which I thought to be
the bleeding edge, an impression that seems to be vindicated by the
frequency of updates) does *not* contain this commit either...

I did check that this commit wasn't reverted, and it doesn't seem to
be: one can easily find the org-html--svg-image function that was
introduced by it in the HEAD version of ox-html.el.

So my question is: am I doing something wrong? How can I get a version
of org that includes this almost-one-year-old patch, ideally without
having to resort to manual installation?

Thanks,
Michel.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/80668

* Re: Why does v8.2.10 include such an old version of ox-html.el?
@ 2014-12-08 18:48 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-12-08 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Michel Schinz <michel.schinz@gmail.com> writes:

> So my question is: am I doing something wrong? How can I get a version
> of org that includes this almost-one-year-old patch, ideally without
> having to resort to manual installation?

I think Bastien wrote that he plans to release v8.3 before the end of the
year.  So probably just stay tuned.

If you need the 8.3 functionality you need to Org from the master branch.
E.g. Archlinux AUR has a package for this, but you could also just check
it out and run the appropriate make commands.  I also believe el-get has a
bleeding-edge Org package, but I never used el-get.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Summon the Mothership!