* Where to keep draft work?
@ 2015-05-26  8:12 SabreWolfy
From: SabreWolfy @ 2015-05-26  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Consider the following Org file, which is used to generate an Agenda:

* Write the big report
  DEADLINE: <2015-05-26 Tue 12:00>
* Write the small report
  DEADLINE: <2015-06-02 Tue 12:00>
* Plan the draft proposal
  SCHEDULED: <2015-05-28 Thu 09:00>

Where is the best place to store the actual text of the reports and
proposals? Should it be stored under each heading? Or in a drawer? Or linked?

I call the Agenda and see entries for the day, and then scroll to one and
press <Tab> to jump to it. This would be a good place to store the text?

* Re: Where to keep draft work?
@ 2015-05-26  9:25 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2015-05-26  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SabreWolfy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

For me the answer depends on the size of the text, and how you generate
the final report. I would probably make a link like [[./big-report.org]]
in the first section. That would make it pretty easy to have a
standalone document with headlines at whatever level is appropriate that
can be exported in the desired format.

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F

* Re: Where to keep draft work?
@ 2015-05-26 13:08 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2015-05-26 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

SabreWolfy <sabrewolfy@gmail.com> writes:

> Consider the following Org file, which is used to generate an Agenda:
>
> * Write the big report
>   DEADLINE: <2015-05-26 Tue 12:00>
> * Write the small report
>   DEADLINE: <2015-06-02 Tue 12:00>
> * Plan the draft proposal
>   SCHEDULED: <2015-05-28 Thu 09:00>
>
> Where is the best place to store the actual text of the reports and
> proposals? Should it be stored under each heading? Or in a drawer? Or linked?
>
> I call the Agenda and see entries for the day, and then scroll to one and
> press <Tab> to jump to it. This would be a good place to store the text?

I almost always end up putting the text directly under the headline, and
then doing a subtree export. As John notes, though, if you've got a
particularly complex document it might feel cleaned to put it in a
separate file. On the other hand, I suspect there's nothing you can do
with a separate file that you can't do with subtree properties/export
options.

From the point of view of reaching the text from the Agenda, I doubt
there's much difference -- just the matter of an extra RET if you are
following a link to a separate file.

Eric