* Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
@ 2019-10-23 13:13 Christoph Michelbach
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christoph Michelbach @ 2019-10-23 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I often write documents in org mode that are going to be exported to PDF
via LaTeX and find myself writing something like

    \paragraph{Lorem Ipsum} Duis ac nibh cursus, elementum ipsum quis,
    faucibus sapien.

    \paragraph{Interdum} Cras volutpat, sem eu semper ultrices, risus
    lacus tempor erat, eu pulvinar magna arcu sit amet massa.

a lot, therefore mixing very simple Latex into my org documents simply
because I want titled paragraphs. This comes with the further
disadvantage that there is no syntax highlighting for it while editing.

This is despite the fact that org mode already has syntax for titled
things. Whenever we need a description list, we write:

    - Lorem Ipsum :: Duis ac nibh cursus, elementum ipsum quis, faucibus
    sapien.
    - Interdum :: Cras volutpat, sem eu semper ultrices, risus lacus
    tempor erat, eu pulvinar magna arcu sit amet massa.

I think we should be able to use the same syntax outside of lists:

--
Christoph Michelbach

* Re: Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
@ 2019-10-23 13:24 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-23 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Michelbach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 15:13, Christoph Michelbach wrote:
> I often write documents in org mode that are going to be exported to
> PDF via LaTeX and find myself writing something like
>
>    \paragraph{Lorem Ipsum} Duis ac nibh cursus, elementum ipsum quis,
>    faucibus sapien.

[...]

> I think we should be able to use the same syntax outside of lists:

Why not use a further headline if you are exporting to LaTeX?  In the
default configuration, the 4th level heading corresponds to \paragraph
in LaTeX.

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 27.0.50, Org release_9.2.6-552-g8c5a78

* Re: Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
@ 2019-10-23 13:51   ` Christoph Michelbach
From: Christoph Michelbach @ 2019-10-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fraga, Eric; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 2019-10-23 15:24, Fraga, Eric wrote:
> Why not use a further headline if you are exporting to LaTeX?  In the
> default configuration, the 4th level heading corresponds to \paragraph
> in LaTeX.

1. Because headlines and paragraphs are different things. One is used
for hierarchical structuring and description, the other only for
description.
2. Because that'd mean skipping hierarchical levels when using
paragraphs on a high level.
3. Because headlines are collapsed by default. I realize the default can
be changed but if you like hierarchical levels to be collapsed, you
still have to expand paragraphs far up individually or expand all the
hierarchical levels below by dobule-tabbing.

--

@ 2019-10-23 14:18     ` Dominik Schrempf
From: Dominik Schrempf @ 2019-10-23 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Fraga, Eric

Hello!

I agree with this proposal. At some point I already asked if the following
structure is possible:

#+begin_example
* Title
** Section I
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor
tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis
eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis
parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor.
Nullam tristique diam non turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum.
Nam vestibulum accumsan nisl.

Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't deserve a
section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't
deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but
doesn't deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to
Section I, but doesn't deserve a section title.
#+end_example

With titled paragraphs, this document structure could be achieved.

All the best,
Dominik

@ 2019-10-23 14:20     ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-23 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Michelbach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Cristoph,

okay, paragraph headings are not what you want.  And lists aren't
suitable either.  I don't think there is any other way and I predict
that adding :: syntax in arbitrary positions will not be acceptable as a
development to the language but let's see what others think.  I have no
strong feelings either way.

Just some rebuttals on your points:

On Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 15:51, Christoph Michelbach wrote:
> 1. Because headlines and paragraphs are different things. One is used
> for hierarchical structuring and description, the other only for
> description.

Well, that's a personal view, not a strict definition.

> 2. Because that'd mean skipping hierarchical levels when using
> paragraphs on a high level.

Org allows this just fine.  I often have 4th level headings within a 1st
level heading with no intervening levels.

> 3. Because headlines are collapsed by default. I realize the default
> can be changed but if you like hierarchical levels to be collapsed,
> you still have to expand paragraphs far up individually or expand all
> the hierarchical levels below by dobule-tabbing.

You can set visibility on individual headlines using properties.

I always start my (long) documents with all headings to a certain level
exposed (org-content 3) so paragraphs are hidden by default.  You might
find this useful.  Or maybe not! ;-)

--

@ 2019-10-23 14:55       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2019-10-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

What would be an actual example of a "paragraph that is not related to
Section I, but doesn't deserve a section title"?

Cheers,

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
@ 2019-10-23 16:44 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2019-10-23 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Michelbach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Christoph Michelbach <michelbach94@gmail.com> writes:

> I often write documents in org mode that are going to be exported to
> PDF via LaTeX and find myself writing something like
>
>    \paragraph{Lorem Ipsum} Duis ac nibh cursus, elementum ipsum quis,
>    faucibus sapien.
>
>    \paragraph{Interdum} Cras volutpat, sem eu semper ultrices, risus
>    lacus tempor erat, eu pulvinar magna arcu sit amet massa.
>
> a lot, therefore mixing very simple Latex into my org documents simply
> because I want titled paragraphs. This comes with the further
> disadvantage that there is no syntax highlighting for it while
> editing.

There is nothing wrong with using simple LaTeX in Org files, if you
intent to export to PDF. Org doesn't provide equivalents for \bigskip,
or \vspace, or \hfill…

Anyhow, you could use a macro, if you want to make it look more Org-ish,
or try to use keywords, e.g.,

    #+attr_latex: :title Whatever
    Foo...

Changing the syntax is the very last thing to consider, IMO.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Feature Proposal: Titled Paragraphs
@ 2019-10-24  5:20 ` Fraga, Eric
From: Fraga, Eric @ 2019-10-24  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Michelbach; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Wednesday, 23 Oct 2019 at 15:13, Christoph Michelbach wrote:
> This comes with the further disadvantage that there is no syntax
> highlighting for it while editing.

I forgot to add that you could use hi-lock-mode to highlight your
\paragraph statements.
--

@ 2019-10-24  7:50       ` Julius Müller
From: Julius Müller @ 2019-10-24  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 23.10.19 um 16:18 schrieb Dominik Schrempf:
> I agree with this proposal. At some point I already asked if the following
> structure is possible:
>
> #+begin_example
> * Title
> ** Section I
> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Donec hendrerit tempor
> tellus. Donec pretium posuere tellus. Proin quam nisl, tincidunt et, mattis
> eget, convallis nec, purus. Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis
> parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Nulla posuere. Donec vitae dolor.
> Nullam tristique diam non turpis. Cras placerat accumsan nulla. Nullam rutrum.
> Nam vestibulum accumsan nisl.
>
> Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't deserve a
> section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but doesn't
> deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to Section I, but
> doesn't deserve a section title. Another paragraph that is not related to
> Section I, but doesn't deserve a section title.
> #+end_example
>
> With titled paragraphs, this document structure could be achieved.

Only if you are very restrictive about it, as you hit a fundamental
problem of org markup here, a problem it shares with (La)TeX, HTML, all
printed books I'm aware of, and a lot of other formats. Org and (La)TeX
only markup the start of a section, not its end. Thus it would be
difficult to tell your construct apart from other kind of structures.

Contrary to your view, in the (La)TeX-world \paragraph is usually seen
as just another hierarchical level of document structuring. It is a
heading (with a weird default of not standing on a line of its own), and
it does NOT solely belong to the one paragraph it starts. In fact, with
your view, (La)TeX's \subparagraph macro would not make any sense at
all. That means, adding \paragraph in your sense will break document
structure the moment you also have nesting deeper than 3 (or 4 for
book-like formats).

Julius