* org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics not working as expected
@ 2020-07-29 15:49 Thomas Albers
From: Thomas Albers @ 2020-07-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have been playing around with checkboxes and I noticed a behaviour I
did not expect based on what I read on the documentation.

Footnote 2 in the chapter 5.6 talks about the
'org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics' variable, which I have set to
nil. But the top level header still does no show the count of checked off
items.

I have also used the :COOKIE_DATA: property set to recursive with the
same results.

What I would expect based on the documentation:
     * Some header [1/2]
     :PROPERTIES:
     :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
     :END:
     ** Another header [1/2]
       - [X] some item 1
       - [ ] some item 2

What I get:
     * Some header [0/0]
     :PROPERTIES:
     :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
     :END:
     ** Another header [1/2]
       - [X] some item 1
       - [ ] some item 2

Am I interpreting something wrong?

Regards,
Thomas

* Re: org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics not working as expected
@ 2020-08-02  4:06 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-08-02  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Albers; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Albers writes:

> Footnote 2 in the chapter 5.6 talks about the
> 'org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics' variable, which I have set to
> nil. But the top level header still does no show the count of checked off
> items.
>
> I have also used the :COOKIE_DATA: property set to recursive with the
> same results.
>
> What I would expect based on the documentation:
>      * Some header [1/2]
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
>      :END:
>      ** Another header [1/2]
>        - [X] some item 1
>        - [ ] some item 2
>
> What I get:
>      * Some header [0/0]
>      :PROPERTIES:
>      :COOKIE_DATA: recursive
>      :END:
>      ** Another header [1/2]
>        - [X] some item 1
>        - [ ] some item 2
>
> Am I interpreting something wrong?

My understanding is that org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics isn't
about counting boxes from children headings but instead about counting
children checkboxes.  For example, here's a count with the default value
of t for org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics:

    * h [0/2]
    - [-] a
      - [ ] a.1
      - [X] a.2
    - [-] b
      - [ ] b.1
      - [X] b.2

With org-checkbox-hierarchical-statistics to nil, the count is instead

    * h [2/6]
    - [-] a
      - [ ] a.1
      - [X] a.2