* Are we still in a feature freeze?
@ 2020-08-24  7:28 TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-08-24  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode-email

Hi Maintainers,

Are we still in a feature freeze? At the start of June Bastien
announced a feature freeze (Release 9.3.7). As we are now moving
into September, I'm wondering if this is still in effect? I can't
see any recent emails from Bastien either so I'm guessing he's
just been snowed under with work.

Just wondering because I have a few feature-y PRs which I'd like
to put forward, such as:

 + my big =org-plot= thing + reworking ~org-html--build-meta-info~
 + add KaTeX as an ~org-html-with-latex~ option + maybe revamp the
 html/latex default export settings/templates

If we are still in a feature freeze, it would be nice if I could
get an account on code.orgmode.org so I can fork org-mode and make
some feature branches.

All the best,

Timothy.

* Re: Are we still in a feature freeze?
@ 2020-09-03 10:30 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-03 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Timothy,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Are we still in a feature freeze?

Yes.

> At the start of June Bastien announced a feature freeze (Release
> 9.3.7). As we are now moving into September, I'm wondering if this
> is still in effect? I can't see any recent emails from Bastien
> either so I'm guessing he's just been snowed under with work.

Good guess :)   I'm rolling up my sleeves to get to 9.4 ASAP so that
we can commit features in the master branch again soonish.

Still, you can share patches on the list, that's useful to discuss
and improve them.

> If we are still in a
> feature freeze, it would be nice if I could get an account on
> code.orgmode.org so I can fork org-mode and make some feature
> branches.

We do not use code.orgmode.org for collaborative development, we
use this list instead.  You can still create a clone of Org where
you see fit.

 Bastien

* Re: Are we still in a feature freeze?
@ 2020-09-03 10:37   ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-03 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Bastien!

Great to see you back on the lists again :)

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Good guess :)   I'm rolling up my sleeves to get to 9.4 ASAP so that
> we can commit features in the master branch again soonish.
>
> Still, you can share patches on the list, that's useful to discuss
> and improve them.

I won't hold back till 9.4 is released then, thanks for confirming the status.

> We do not use code.orgmode.org for collaborative development, we
> use this list instead.  You can still create a clone of Org where
> you see fit.

Ah, I see. I was going off a line in https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
"If you are undertaking big changes, please create a dedicated branch"

I'm not sure if ~10 commits counted, but thought this may be the way to
go. Once again, thanks for clarifying.

Much appreciated!

Timothy.

p.s. If you'd like a TLDR on that website thread I started I'd happily
attempt one. I just hope you don't find me too presumptions going as far
as I have without having heard your thoughts on it.

* Re: Are we still in a feature freeze?
@ 2020-09-03 14:54     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-09-03 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TEC; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hi Timothy,

TEC <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> Ah, I see. I was going off a line in https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html
> "If you are undertaking big changes, please create a dedicated branch"
>
> I'm not sure if ~10 commits counted, but thought this may be the way to
> go. Once again, thanks for clarifying.

You're welcome -- I rephrased the sentence on worg a bit to avoid
further confusion.

> p.s. If you'd like a TLDR on that website thread I started I'd happily
> attempt one. I just hope you don't find me too presumptions going as far
> as I have without having heard your thoughts on it.

Of course not!  I really appreciate the time and efforts you put in
this (daunting) task and I agree we should move on.  I just hope it
won't be too frustrating if I ask more changes or if we don't "buy"
your solution entirely.  I will carefully review it.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Are we still in a feature freeze?
@ 2020-09-03 15:24       ` TEC
From: TEC @ 2020-09-03 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: org-mode-email

Hello Bastien,

Below I've included some quick (hopefully useful) notes on the
changes
I've made.

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> p.s. If you'd like a TLDR on that website thread I started I'd
>> happily
>> attempt one. I just hope you don't find me too presumptions
>> going as far
>> as I have without having heard your thoughts on it.
>
> Of course not!  I really appreciate the time and efforts you put
> in
> this (daunting) task and I agree we should move on.  I just hope
> it
> won't be too frustrating if I ask more changes or if we don't
> "buy"
> your solution entirely.  I will carefully review it.

This makes me most happy to hear! While there is the 60-odd email
chain
with all the relevant information, to hopefully make you life a
little
easier here's a little summary:

 + I've forked https://code.orgmode.org/bzg/orgweb to[fn:1]
   https://github.com/tecosaur/orgwebsite
 + The current state of the site (+ any unpushed changes) can be
 seen at
   https://orgmode.tecosaur.com/
 + Technology changes:
   - now using SASS over CSS
   - static images are now (mostly) SVGs (thanks Cairo!)
   - brief screen-captures have been done as looping Gifs
   - jQuery has been removed
   - 'resources' (fonts, images, styles, js, html snippets) have
   been
     filed under ./resources
 + I've (re-)created the following pages: index, features,
   releases(changes), install, contribute, tools, and colophon
 + I've added documentation styling ripped from org-roam
 + I've added a bunch of 'social' meta-information (opengraph,
 twitter,
   and more). This should give nice embed content like:
   https://orgmode.tecosaur.com/resources/img/social-card.png

I think that's all the main points. Don't hesitate to ask if you
have
any questions about what/why I've done.

I look forward to (finally :P) getting your feedback! Don't worry
about
frustrating me with change requests, I just may ask what lead you
make a particular request every now and then.

All the best, I eagerly await your feedback :)

Timothy.

[fn:1] I've also used LFS for files like images, fonts, etc. I
have since
  noticed that for LFS to work with Gogs you'll need to update the
  version to 0.12. This has also caused a re-write of the history,
  so a
  force push will be needed.