From: Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs as an Org LSP server
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 06:50:47 +1100	[thread overview]

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> It may all look nice and shiny. But what you people don't understand
> is that it is Microsoft and deep meaning of Microsoft one can know if
> one researches the history as only so one can see the present and look
> into future. Microsoft never changed its strategies. Language server
> protocol is just another branch of possible strategies to take away
> people's computing. It is matter of advertising and making it popular,
> when all the fish are in the net that is where final result comes, and
> that is to take away people's freedom and computing to centralized
> places.

This is just ill informed nonsense. The LSP is nothing more than a
specification. The fact it was initially defined/proposed by Microsoft
is completely irrelevant.

> If Microsoft is really so friendly, then instead of server based
> language service they could provide generic definitions how editor
> could act, and editor could load those generic definitions locally
> without server/client paradigm.

It is NOT server based in the sense you mean. In fact, it is actually
precisely what you argue it should be. LSP is simply a "generic definitions how editor
could act, and editor could load those generic definitions locally."

There is absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with a client server
model. This is exactly the same model you use for your all singing and
dancing extension to org based on a postgres database backend (another
client server model). The 'model' doesn't even need to use TCP
networking, you could do it using just Unix sockets.

Have a look at the existing LSP implementations for Emacs. None of them
require an external server. None of them have anything tied to Microsoft
or github at all (apart from downloading the code). None of them even
require an external network connection.

LSP is nothing more than a specification for a program and a client
which defines the interface between the two and what the supported API
should be. Yes, this has a benefit for Microsoft because it means that
it does not have to implement specific support for every possible
language in their editors like VSCode. However, this is also a benefit
for other editors, like Emacs, because it too can take advantage of this
facility because Microsoft has made the protocol public (they had no
choice other than to make it public because they want others to
implement the servers, not Microsoft).

If your going to speak with authority on some subject and claim we don't
understand it, perhaps you should first make sure you have done your own
research and have a basic understanding of what it is rather than making
inaccurate claims based on a misunderstanding of the use of the word
Server and some baseless conspiracy theory.