Bastien writes: > I see something wrong right now: RET after a headline should only try > to indent below the beginning of the headline with org-adapt-indentation > is t, but not nil or headline-data. > > For now, when org-adapt-indentation is headline-data, RET still indents. > > I will see how to fix this. > > Also, I'm thinking of using headline-data as the new default for the > org-adapt-indentation option. WDYT? I personally agree that headline-data makes more sense as a default given the feedback we received a few weeks ago; as you noticed though there might be a few loose ends to tie up before making the switch: - As you said, RET after a headline indents, but the common case for hitting RET after a headline is probably to write text, since IME headline drawers are always inserted with dedicated commands; thus RET should not indent after a header. - RET after a headline drawer's :END: also indents. - RET in a list item does not indent; it's not obvious that it should, but FWIW (1) RET indents when org-adapt-indentation is t (2) that would be my preference. Also, Greg Minshall (CC'ed) helpfully laid out how org-adapt-indentation and electric-indent-mode play together in one neat table: https://orgmode.org/list/2020-11-13T18-23-43@devnull.Karl-Voit.at/t/#mec37faab85f3de59e25a7c1640e5f50be5494192 I didn't take the time to properly review his findings, but there might be more inconsistencies lurking in there. Finally, not a big problem if headline-data becomes the default, but: the :safe predicate is still booleanp. Patch attached: