“Thomas S. Dye” writes: > Ihor Radchenko writes: > >> Vikas Rawal writes: >> >>> What is the general view of the community about this? Is there a >>> comprehensive discussion of pros and cons of each? >> >> Prof. Kitchin himself provided a summary on why he decided to give up on >> using org-cite. See >> > This claim in Kitchin’s summary surprised me: > > “It comes down to org-ref using bibtex/biblatex as the predominant citation > processor, and org-cite using CSL. These two processors have different syntaxes, > and I don’t think it is possible to have a single approach that works for both > of them without making compromises in capability.” > > I wonder what are the “compromises in capability” required to support both? > > I haven’t found them yet, though I’m just now finishing old projects started > prior to the release of org-cite and haven’t worked through a LaTeX export > project with it. My first, and so far only, project with org-cite was for a > simple html-based presentation using CSL, and I was pleased with the results and > relative ease of setup. > > All the best, > Tom For what it’s worth, I use `org-ref` because fine-grained citation export with LaTeX (using BibTeX or BibLaTeX) only works with `org-ref`, and not with `org-cite`. If I remember correctly, `org-cite` exports the formatted citations into the LaTeX file, which is a no-go for me (let me know if I am wrong). Then, for example, it is really difficult to use different style files, etc. With `org-ref`, I can use BibLaTeX with specific style files. (Journal require different style files). I can even use my personal LaTeX classes (with specific bibliography styles) for Org export. Not sure if this helps…, but this is maybe what John Kitchin is referring to. Dominik