* Prevent files with excluded FILETAGS from being exported
@ 2022-12-07 17:43 Thomas Ingram
From: Thomas Ingram @ 2022-12-07 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Currently when trying to export an org file with FILETAGS set to
"noexport" (or any value in `org-export-exclude-tags') the file is still
exported with the title and top level text.  I propose that be changed
so files with FILETAGS in `org-export-exclude-tags' are completely
skipped by the exporter.

This would be extremely useful in combination with ox-publish, as it
would allow users to easily exclude files from publishing from within
the file.  Currently this can only be done by adjusting the ':exclude'
value to match the filename in the `org-publish-project-alist' settings.

Please let me know your thoughts.  I would be happy to try to submit a
patch but I would need some pointers on where in the export process this
change should be added.

Thomas Ingram
https://taingram.org

* Re: Prevent files with excluded FILETAGS from being exported
@ 2022-12-12 13:37 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Ingram; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thomas Ingram <thomas@taingram.org> writes:

> Currently when trying to export an org file with FILETAGS set to
> "noexport" (or any value in `org-export-exclude-tags') the file is still
> exported with the title and top level text.  I propose that be changed
> so files with FILETAGS in `org-export-exclude-tags' are completely
> skipped by the exporter.

> This would be extremely useful in combination with ox-publish, as it
> would allow users to easily exclude files from publishing from within
> the file.  Currently this can only be done by adjusting the ':exclude'
> value to match the filename in the `org-publish-project-alist' settings.

With current implementation, `org-export-exclude-tags' does not imply
that nothing is done during export. Source blocks inside excluded
subtrees are still executed, for example. The trees are only removed
from the exported Org AST after all the pre-processing is completed,
giving user a chance to set noexport tags dynamically.

In-buffer export settings are also applied, even when set inside
noexport trees.

So, producing an output even when everything is excluded is logically
expected. At least, in a form of empty export template.

That said, I do think that it will make sense to exclude top-level
section if #+FILETAGS contain :noexport:.

In addition, we can introduce a new export option that will make Org
skip exporting empty files (empty after pre-processing).

Then, you will be able to get the described publishing behaviour.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,