* What might ‘org-element-at-point’ be doing in *scratch*?
@ 2024-06-04  9:15 Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2024-06-04  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

After upgrading to 9.7.1 on Emacs 27.1, I get a curious warning on Emacs
start-up:

"Warning (org-element): ‘org-element-at-point’ cannot be used in non-Org
buffer #<buffer *scratch*> (fundamental-mode)"

It does not happen with 'emacs -Q', but it also did not happen before
the upgrade, so I don't know what in my configuration now triggers it,
or why anything would want to do this.

Anyone else seeing this?

Yours,
Christian

* Re: What might ‘org-element-at-point’ be doing in *scratch*?
@ 2024-06-04 10:13 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Moe; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> After upgrading to 9.7.1 on Emacs 27.1, I get a curious warning on Emacs
> start-up:
>
> "Warning (org-element): ‘org-element-at-point’ cannot be used in non-Org
> buffer #<buffer *scratch*> (fundamental-mode)"
>
> It does not happen with 'emacs -Q', but it also did not happen before
> the upgrade, so I don't know what in my configuration now triggers it,
> or why anything would want to do this.

Try M-x debug-on-entry org-element-at-point and you may then get clues
from the backtrace.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: What might ‘org-element-at-point’ be doing in *scratch*?
@ 2024-06-04 10:34   ` Christian Moe
From: Christian Moe @ 2024-06-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: Christian Moe, emacs-orgmode

> Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:
>
>> After upgrading to 9.7.1 on Emacs 27.1, I get a curious warning on Emacs
>> start-up:
>>
>> "Warning (org-element): ‘org-element-at-point’ cannot be used in non-Org
>> buffer #<buffer *scratch*> (fundamental-mode)"
>>
>> It does not happen with 'emacs -Q', but it also did not happen before
>> the upgrade, so I don't know what in my configuration now triggers it,
>> or why anything would want to do this.
>
> Try M-x debug-on-entry org-element-at-point and you may then get clues
> from the backtrace.

Thanks! Nothing the matter with Org; pardon the noise.  Culprit found:
some old code of mine that called org-get-id on load for bad reasons,
and which Emacs has so far suffered in silence.

@ 2024-06-05  2:36 ` Bob Newell
From: Bob Newell @ 2024-06-05  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to 9.7.1 on Emacs 27.1, I get a curious warning on Emacs
> start-up:
>
> "Warning (org-element): ‘org-element-at-point’ cannot be used in non-Org
> buffer #<buffer *scratch*> (fundamental-mode)"
>
> It does not happen with 'emacs -Q', but it also did not happen before
> the upgrade, so I don't know what in my configuration now triggers it,
> or why anything would want to do this.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

I also started to see this.  I too traced it to some of my own
coding where I was doing some fancy reformatting of the "*Org
Agenda*" buffer with a definition of org-agenda-prefix-format
that called my user function with an argument including
(org-get-outline-path).  This now gives the above warning
because *Org Agenda* is not an org buffer per se.

I worked around it by removing the custom code which was
pretty awkward in any case.  It does however leave open the
question about whether there are or are not legitimate cases
for org-element-at-point in buffers which are not org buffers
but present summary or custom views of org material like the
agenda.

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU-Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB

* Re: What might ‘org-element-at-point’ be doing in *scratch*?
@ 2024-06-05 14:40   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2024-06-05 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Newell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bob Newell <bobnewell@bobnewell.net> writes:

> ...  It does however leave open the
> question about whether there are or are not legitimate cases
> for org-element-at-point in buffers which are not org buffers
> but present summary or custom views of org material like the
> agenda.

Yes, calling `org-element-at-point' in non-Org buffers is most likely a
mistake - `org-element-at-point' either returns nil, a garbage, or errs
in non-Org buffers.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,