* howto show all todo's linked with some buffer in agenda?
@ 2007-09-28 20:09 Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-09-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everybody,

inspired by Bastiens great new org-registry.el and now triggered by
David's last post of his GTD setup (one big file with TODOs and
several files for publishing), I'd like to share some ideas with
you, which would make the best PIM I've ever used even better for me.

Having tried org-registry I see the following drawbacks

 - the file .org-registry, I've no idea about performance issues yet,
   but one of the main reasons for switching from planner-mode to
   org-mode last year, was org-mode's habit of generating the agenda
   dynamically

 - if I understand the code correctly, org-registry fit's the Links
   generated by org-store-link *exactly*, which seem to rigid for me,
   as I sometimes write by hand, which are only approximate

 - The output is spartanic, what I would love to have is a agenda
   overview with TODO-Items and maybe headlines, which are linked to
   the current file or bbdb-entry or mail,....

I think it would be great to have a function (think of
(org-calendar-goto-agenda) called from the calendar), which would give
a agenda with todo associated with the current
file/bbdb-entry/mail/directory,...

Having read once more through the org-manual (WHAM - even if I try to
follow this list closely, i was astonished by so many new features), I
think the most appropiate way would be an extension to the
tags/properties search.

What do you think, possible and/or interesting?

Jost

P.S. I'd love to help with coding, but when I got to
(org-make-tags-matcher) my brain collapsed.

        ,,,
       (o o)
----ooO-(_)-Ooo-----------------------
Stolen from somebody on orgmode-Mailinglist

* Re: howto show all todo's linked with some buffer in agenda?
@ 2007-09-28 22:43 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jost,

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de> writes:

> Having tried org-registry I see the following drawbacks
>
>  - the file .org-registry, I've no idea about performance issues yet,
>    but one of the main reasons for switching from planner-mode to
>    org-mode last year, was org-mode's habit of generating the agenda
>    dynamically

Actually, this is why John proposed `org-occur-in-agenda-files'.

Mhh... I thought a registry would be more efficient, because you don't
have to fetch for all the links in all agenda files before finding those
pointing to your location. But perhaps maintaining the registry file has
it own cost. I will think more carefully about this and let you know.

>  - if I understand the code correctly, org-registry fit's the Links
>    generated by org-store-link *exactly*, which seem to rigid for me,
>    as I sometimes write by hand, which are only approximate

Agreed. The most common pattern would be to match the link exactly and
to be more liberal about the description. I implemented such a "fuzzy"
matching for planner-registry, and I was quite happy with that.

One caveat though: file links contain context. Obviously, we don't want
to be only able to find such links if the point is *exactly* where the
context was defined from. So I suggest we get rid of the context when
storing a link to the registry.  Of course, not having a registry file
would help here :)

Last but not least: plain links are currently not stored. Plain links
are also links in bracket links, so this might be confusing when fishing
for all links in the buffer.

>  - The output is spartanic, what I would love to have is a agenda
>    overview with TODO-Items and maybe headlines, which are linked to
>    the current file or bbdb-entry or mail,....

Okay. I will try to implement some kind of agenda view for headlines
containing a link to the current location. More on this later.

> I think it would be great to have a function (think of
> (org-calendar-goto-agenda) called from the calendar), which would give
> a agenda with todo associated with the current
> file/bbdb-entry/mail/directory,...

Being able to search for several location would also be neat. Imagine:
you want to fetch all TODOs pointing to your bbdb buffer or/and your w3m
buffer or/and your Gnus summary buffer.

> What do you think, possible and/or interesting?

Possible and *very* interesting!  Thanks for the input.

--
Bastien

* Re: howto show all todo's linked with some buffer in agenda?
@ 2007-09-29 12:38   ` Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-09-29 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

>>  - if I understand the code correctly, org-registry fit's the Links
>>    generated by org-store-link *exactly*, which seem to rigid for me,
>>    as I sometimes write by hand, which are only approximate
>
> Agreed. The most common pattern would be to match the link exactly and
> to be more liberal about the description. I implemented such a "fuzzy"
> matching for planner-registry, and I was quite happy with that.
>
> One caveat though: file links contain context. Obviously, we don't want
> to be only able to find such links if the point is *exactly* where the
> context was defined from. So I suggest we get rid of the context when
> storing a link to the registry.  Of course, not having a registry file
> would help here :)

Similar problem may arise, when using bbdb links. Think of
[[bbdb:Ludwig Beethoven]] and [[bbdb:beethoven]] which should both be
matched, when I'm on the relevant entry. Maybe the search should do a
match against some kind of fingerprint of the current buffer. No idea,
about the impact on calculation time.

> Last but not least: plain links are currently not stored. Plain links
> are also links in bracket links, so this might be confusing when fishing
> for all links in the buffer.

What do you mean by plain links, links within the same buffer or links
without brackets? I think, it would be good to have all links, which
will be recognised by ord, in the registry (O.K., excluding internal
links).

> Okay. I will try to implement some kind of agenda view for headlines
> containing a link to the current location. More on this later.

This sounds great !!

> Possible and *very* interesting!  Thanks for the input.

Always a pleasure :-)

Jost

* Re: howto show all todo's linked with some buffer in agenda?
@ 2007-09-29 13:36     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-29 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de> writes:

>> One caveat though: file links contain context. Obviously, we don't want
>> to be only able to find such links if the point is *exactly* where the
>> context was defined from. So I suggest we get rid of the context when
>> storing a link to the registry.  Of course, not having a registry file
>> would help here :)
>
> Similar problem may arise, when using bbdb links. Think of
> [[bbdb:Ludwig Beethoven]] and [[bbdb:beethoven]] which should both be
> matched, when I'm on the relevant entry. Maybe the search should do a
> match against some kind of fingerprint of the current buffer. No idea,
> about the impact on calculation time.

Very true, I'll handle this as well.

> What do you mean by plain links, links within the same buffer or links
> without brackets? I think, it would be good to have all links, which
> will be recognised by ord, in the registry (O.K., excluding internal
> links).

I mean links without brackets.  For now the registry just skip them,
because he's not able to decide whether this links are part of a full
(bracketed) link or not.

--
Bastien