* More convenient methods for creating appointments?
@ 2009-04-26 11:24 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-04-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-org

Hello to all

Maybe I have overlooked this in the documentation. For creating active
time-stamps I know the key-stroke 'C-c .' which only allows for a
single date and time.

But if you want to specify a time period, the entry has to look like
this:

<2009-12-03 Do>--<2009-12-06 So>
or
<2009-04-27 Mo 14:00>--<2009-04-27 Mo 16:00>

Is there a way to create this kind of entries at once, i.e. to chose a
start and an end date right from a single call of the calendar? By now,
I just copy the created single time-stamp, yank it behind a manually
typed '--' and change the date with S-up. Calling the calender twice is
not much more convenient (see below).

Moreover, sometimes a certain appointment takes place more than once,
but not regularly (i.e. not +1w etc.):

*** APPT Meet myself
    <2009-04-23 Do 14:00>
    <2009-04-27 Mo 14:00>
    <2009-05-05 Tue 10:00>

Is there another way to set these dates than typing C-c . three times?
The inconvenience is that the calender always starts at 'today', so you
always have to browse the whole thing again until you reach the next
date you want to choose. It would be better to mark the first date, then
immediately go on to the second, the third ...

Thanks

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für

* Re: More convenient methods for creating appointments?
@ 2009-04-26 11:49 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-26 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Sven,

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hello to all
>
> Maybe I have overlooked this in the documentation. For creating active
> time-stamps I know the key-stroke 'C-c .' which only allows for a
> single date and time.
>
> But if you want to specify a time period, the entry has to look like
> this:
>
> <2009-12-03 Do>--<2009-12-06 So>
> or
> <2009-04-27 Mo 14:00>--<2009-04-27 Mo 16:00>

Since this second example takes place on a single day you could enter
the time span in the first prompt.

E.g., C-c . Mon 14:00-16:00

which produces,

<2009-04-27 Mon 14:00-16:00>

> Is there a way to create this kind of entries at once, i.e. to chose a
> start and an end date right from a single call of the calendar? By now,
> I just copy the created single time-stamp, yank it behind a manually
> typed '--' and change the date with S-up. Calling the calender twice is
> not much more convenient (see below).

For a time span that crosses several days, you could type C-c . once and
then immediately type C-c . again. Second timestamp will automatically
be entered as a range.

E.g., C-c . Mon RET C-c . Wed RET

produces

<2009-04-27 Mon>--<2009-04-29 Wed>

To be honest I'm not sure what you mean when you say the C-c . is
cumbersome. I find it difficult to imagine a more economical way of
entering the time span above then the keystrokes I've mentioned.

> Moreover, sometimes a certain appointment takes place more than once,
> but not regularly (i.e. not +1w etc.):
>
> *** APPT Meet myself
>     <2009-04-23 Do 14:00>
>     <2009-04-27 Mo 14:00>
>     <2009-05-05 Tue 10:00>
>
> Is there another way to set these dates than typing C-c . three times?
> The inconvenience is that the calender always starts at 'today', so you
> always have to browse the whole thing again until you reach the next
> date you want to choose. It would be better to mark the first date, then
> immediately go on to the second, the third ...

Here's how I would enter the above:

C-c . Thu 14:00 RET RET C-c . Apr 27 14:00 RET RET C-c . May 5 10:00 RET

Again, perhaps it's just me, but I find that an extremely economical way
to enter so much calendar information.

Regards,
Matt

* Re: More convenient methods for creating appointments?
@ 2009-04-26 13:04   ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-04-26 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-org

Hello Matthew

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> To be honest I'm not sure what you mean when you say the C-c . is
> cumbersome. I find it difficult to imagine a more economical way of
> entering the time span above then the keystrokes I've mentioned.

You are absolutely right. I've read about the way you type your dates,
but I thought it was even more cumbersome, since I didn't recognize the
power of its 'recognition algorithm' (?). I thought one had to enter the
whole date-string (year-month-day-weekday etc.) and never tried it.

I'm very happy with your suggestions. It's really convenient.

Thanks

Sven
--

@ 2009-04-26 14:47     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-26 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Bretfeld; +Cc: emacs-org

Hi Sven,

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> You are absolutely right. I've read about the way you type your dates,
> but I thought it was even more cumbersome, since I didn't recognize the
> power of its 'recognition algorithm' (?). I thought one had to enter the
> whole date-string (year-month-day-weekday etc.) and never tried it.
>
> I'm very happy with your suggestions. It's really convenient.

Glad I could be of help. Yes, the timestamp shortcuts are indeed very
nice. Once again, a great big thank you to Carsten for another hidden
wonder of org-mode!

Best,
Matt

* Re: More convenient methods for creating appointments?
@ 2009-04-27 17:40       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-04-27 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Glad I could be of help. Yes, the timestamp shortcuts are indeed very
> nice. Once again, a great big thank you to Carsten for another hidden
> wonder of org-mode!

And I second this vote of thanks!  It's these little bits of org-mode
that make for such an appealing package.  I don't think I've ever had
the date recognition system get the date wrong (i.e. end up with a date
I did not intend).