* org-babel installation failing using the latest version from git repo and emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-10-15 15:02 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2009-10-15 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Well, I'm very, very excited to start using org-babel and making cool stuff
with it. However, I could not yet get it to work here.

The first thing that is not working, and I hope some more emacs-savvy users
could put me in the right direction is that, I have this code in my .emacs:

;ORG MODE CONFIGURATION
> (setq load-path (cons "/home/marcelo/emacs.d/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
> (setq load-path (cons "/home/marcelo/emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/lisp/"
> load-path))

The directory does have org-babel-init:

~/.emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/lisp$ ls
> htmlize.el
> org2rem.el
> org-annotate-file.el
> org-annotation-helper.el
> *org-babel-init.el*
> org-bookmark.el
> org-browser-url.el
> org-checklist.el
> org-choose.el
> org-collector.el
> org-contribdir.el
> org-depend.el
> org-elisp-symbol.el
> org-eval.el
> org-eval-light.el
> org-exp-bibtex.el
> org-expiry.el
> org-export-generic.el
> org-interactive-query.el
> org-invoice.el
> org-jira.el
> org-mac-iCal.el
> org-mairix.el
> org-man.el
> org-mtags.el
> org-panel.el
> org-registry.el
> org-R.el
> org-screen.el
> org-special-blocks.el
> orgtbl-sqlinsert.el
> org-toc.el
> org-track.el

I have this code in the bottom my of .emacs:

(require 'org-babel-init)

(require 'org-babel-R)         ;; requires R and ess-mode
(require 'org-babel-ruby)      ;; requires ruby, irb, ruby-mode, and
inf-ruby
(require 'org-babel-python)    ;; requires python, and python-mode

When I try to evaluate the buffer (or when I restart emacs for that matter),
I get the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file"
"org-babel-init")

What am I doing wrong?

Also, the second question I have is, even when I start emacs with -q flag
(don't load init files), there are org functions loaded. They differ
slightly in their quantity I guess, for example, I did not find the
org-version in this case. However, I have searched for org files in the disk
and didn't find anything besides my org files pulled from the official git
repo. Where are do emacs keep the built-in org package? (I'm using Ubuntu
9.10). I'm asking this because I don't want to use the version that comes
with emacs, but the latest, bleeding edge one directly from the git repo.

And by the way, when I use the one from the git repo, the org-version func
returns:

Org-mode version 6.30c

And I have the lastest commit from branch master from this repo:  git://
repo.or.cz/org-mode.git

Is it correct?

Thanks!

Marcelo.

* [babel] Re: org-babel installation failing using the latest version from git repo and emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-10-15 17:01 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-10-15 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Marcelo,

(Please note that we've agreed to tag org-babel messages with "[babel]")

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Well, I'm very, very excited to start using org-babel and making cool stuff
> with it. However, I could not yet get it to work here.

OK, we must fix this.

I created the file /home/marcelo/emacs.d/emacs.el containing

(setq load-path (cons "/home/marcelo/emacs.d/org-mode/lisp" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "/home/marcelo/emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/lisp/" load-path))
(require 'org-install)
(require 'org-babel-init)
(require 'org-babel-python)

Then I did

emacs -q -l /home/marcelo/emacs.d/emacs.el

and it starts fine. org-version is "6.31trans". Does that work for you?

> Also, the second question I have is, even when I start emacs with -q flag
> (don't load init files), there are org functions loaded. They differ slightly
> in their quantity I guess, for example, I did not find the org-version in this
> case. However, I have searched for org files in the disk and didn't find
> anything besides my org files pulled from the official git repo. Where are do
> emacs keep the built-in org package? (I'm using Ubuntu 9.10). I'm asking this
> because I don't want to use the version that comes with emacs, but the latest,
> bleeding edge one directly from the git repo.

I'm also on ubuntu (9.04) using emacs-snapshot package. I have org files
at

/usr/share/emacs/23.0.91/lisp/org/

they shouldn't cause problems with the set up above. You could rename
that directory if you wanted. It does look like your having problems

> And by the way, when I use the one from the git repo, the org-version func
> returns:
>

>     Org-mode version 6.30c

Hmm, should be

Org-mode version 6.31trans (release_6.31.68.g93f3)

I believe the function org-version should give you info on the latest
git commit like it did for me. So perhaps you are getting the org files
that came with emacs and not the git release.

I'm not on ubuntu 9.10 yet. Carsten / others -- is 6.30c what you'd get
with emacs 23 on the current ubuntu beta release, or is org frozen at
6.21 in emacs23?

> And I have the lastest commit from branch master from this repo:  git://
> repo.or.cz/org-mode.git
>
> Is it correct?

Latest commit is 93f3968e3f6cb5bf29a2d089457676c5b4a7b694.

You can see the first 4 characters of the commit id in the output from
org-version above.

Dan

> Thanks!
>
> Marcelo.

* Re: [babel] Re: org-babel installation failing using the latest version from git repo and emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-10-17 16:20   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-10-17 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Davison; +Cc: Org Mode

At Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:01:46 -0400,
Dan Davison wrote:

> I'm not on ubuntu 9.10 yet. Carsten / others -- is 6.30c what you'd get
> with emacs 23 on the current ubuntu beta release, or is org frozen at
> 6.21 in emacs23?

I can't speak for ubuntu but Debian's unstable version of emacs (which
I'm using) is at 23.1 and it's bundling org-mode 6.21b.

* Re: [babel] Re: org-babel installation failing using the latest version from git repo and emacs 23.1.50.1
@ 2009-10-17 17:28     ` Dirk-Jan C. Binnema
From: Dirk-Jan C. Binnema @ 2009-10-17 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: Dan Davison, Org Mode

Hi Dan,

    Eric> At Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:01:46 -0400,
    Eric> Dan Davison wrote:

    >> I'm not on ubuntu 9.10 yet. Carsten / others -- is 6.30c what you'd get
    >> with emacs 23 on the current ubuntu beta release, or is org frozen at
    >> 6.21 in emacs23?

    Eric> I can't speak for ubuntu but Debian's unstable version of emacs (which
    Eric> I'm using) is at 23.1 and it's bundling org-mode 6.21b.

% cat /etc/issue.net ; apt-cache show org-mode | grep Version
Ubuntu karmic (development branch)
Version: 6.27a-1

Best wishes,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl