* When opening email links, unseen messages marked as read!
@ 2010-11-05 12:47 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-11-05 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

I just found out a particularly annoying feature of following email links.

Let's say I follow a link to an email stored in my INBOX.friends.

1. I do C-c C-o on the link.
2. It opens a summary buffer with that mail as only line in it
3. It displays its content below or on the left, depending on the window
   configuration.

That's working as expected.

Now, suppose I have 1 unseen (hence, unread as well) email that has been moved
into that same INBOX.friends folder (because of the splitting rules).

The above sequence becomes:

1. I do C-c C-o on the link.
2. It opens a summary buffer with that mail *and the unseen messages*.
3. It displays the content of the linked email below or on the left.

But... the unseen messages are marked as read, though I've not read them at
all... Hence, if I quit that article window without taking care, I've simply
almost "lost" emails: I will never read them, as they never will appear
anymore in my list of mails to read...

Any idea on what's causing this?

In my case, I read emails with Gnus 5.13. I don't know if this is related to
Gnus, or to the process of following email links: what about WL, for example?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: When opening email links, unseen messages marked as read!
@ 2010-11-05 19:11 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-11-05 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode