* multiple users org mode
@ 2011-01-28  7:09 Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2011-01-28  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

During the org camp in Paris at one point the someone asked "hey org is
wonderful but how do we use it with multiple users?"

I am trying to envision what this would look like. One way to do it
would be to have users share their .org on a network drive. Org would
have to be able to fusion the multiple files into one. For example let's
imagine two users sharing a project:

User 1

* project
** TODO action a
** TODO action b

User 2

* project
** TODO action c
** TODO action b

The consolidated org file would look like this

* project
** TODO action a
** TODO action b
** TODO action c
** TODO action b

How do you envision multiple users org usage? I think it would be a
wonderful feature.

Take care,
--
Ivan Kanis
http://kanis.fr

* Re: multiple users org mode
@ 2011-01-29 14:21 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-29 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ivan Kanis <expire-by-2011-02-02@kanis.fr> writes:

> During the org camp in Paris at one point the someone asked "hey org is
> wonderful but how do we use it with multiple users?"
>
> I am trying to envision what this would look like. One way to do it
> would be to have users share their .org on a network drive. Org would
> have to be able to fusion the multiple files into one. For example let's
> imagine two users sharing a project:
>
> User 1
>
> * project
> ** TODO action a
> ** TODO action b
>
> User 2
>
> * project
> ** TODO action c
> ** TODO action b
>
> The consolidated org file would look like this
>
> * project
> ** TODO action a
> ** TODO action b
> ** TODO action c
> ** TODO action b
>
> How do you envision multiple users org usage? I think it would be a
> wonderful feature.

Two ideas:

1. Instead of merging separate files, might one not use a common project
   file and rely on tags and categories to mark ownership of tasks?

   Bastien has a nice example of this in his column view tutorial:

   http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-column-view-tutorial.html#sec-5

   Similar example in the manual: (info "(org) Column attributes")

   Merging in this scenario could then be left to git (or some other
   dvcs).

2. User one file per user and rely on the agenda to create a task list
   for the entire project.

Best,
Matt