* Following links in an indirect buffer
@ 2011-03-17 14:08 Shaun Johnson
From: Shaun Johnson @ 2011-03-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi all,

I regularly work in an indirect buffer created by org-tree-to-indirect-buffer.

Following an id: type link in such a buffer seems to always switche to the
base buffer even if the target is visible in the indirect buffer.

Is the buffer switching intended behaviour or is this a bug?

Following an ordinary link (like [[Target]]) does not exhibit this buffer
switching behaviour. However if the target is outside the visible part of
the indirect buffer the buffer will be widened and point will move to the
target but only after being told that there is no match and asked if I want
to create a new heading.

In the case where the target is outside the visible part of the indirect
buffer I would prefer it if the link was opened in the base buffer.

Again is this intended behaviour or a bug?

Thanks in advance,

Shaun.

* Re: Following links in an indirect buffer
@ 2011-03-30  0:42 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-03-30  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaun Johnson; +Cc: Org Mode

Shaun Johnson <shaun@slugfest.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I regularly work in an indirect buffer created by org-tree-to-indirect-buffer.
>
> Following an id: type link in such a buffer seems to always switche to the
> base buffer even if the target is visible in the indirect buffer.

If you have org-id-track-globally set to t, org-mode will query a hash
table to determine in which file the id is located. The result will
always be the base file. (Contrast this with [[target]] links, which
prompt a simple search in the current buffer.)

> Is the buffer switching intended behaviour or is this a bug?

I wouldn't call it a bug. But I think an option to search first in the
current buffer might be a feature request. :)

> Following an ordinary link (like [[Target]]) does not exhibit this buffer
> switching behaviour. However if the target is outside the visible part of
> the indirect buffer the buffer will be widened and point will move to the
> target but only after being told that there is no match and asked if I want
> to create a new heading.

This seems a bug to me, since the buffer is widened and the correct
target found after the warning.

Best,
Matt