From: Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com>
To: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: not-quite-literal blocks
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:26:42 -0400	[thread overview]

Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> writes:

> I am trying to piece together a simple
> literate programming system that takes
> HTML as input and spews out source files.
> The program that "tangles" code fragments
> in the HTML into source text will be in XSLT.
>
> Org mode is almost but not quite perfect for
> generating the HTML I'd like.
>
> I'm writing  to ask if I'm overlooking features that
> are close to what I want to do, or advice about
> whether it makes sense to extend org this way
> and, if so, what work is entailed.  (I'm aware
> of the existing literate programming features
> in org but they are pretty far from what I'm
> looking for, I think.)
>
> Right now, I can write something like this:
>
>   #+BEGIN_SRC C
>     printf ("hello world\n");
>   #+END_SRC
>
> and, via HTML export, get:
>
>   <pre class="src src-C">printf("hello world\n");
>   </pre>
>
> What I'd really like is the ability to do this:
>
>   #+BEGIN_SRC C name="Say goodnight, Gracey."
>     printf ("Goodnight, Gracey\n");
>   #+END_SRC
>   #+BEGIN_SRC C name="main routine" file="burns.c"
>     #include <stdio.h>
>     int main (int argc, char * argv[])
>     {
>       //{{say   goodnight, gracey}}
>       return 0;
>     }
>   #+END_SRC
>
> and get:
>
>    <i>Say goodnight, Gracey.</i>:
>    <pre class="src src-C" id="say_goodnight_gracey">
>      printf ("Goodnight Gracey\n");
>    </pre>
>
>    <i>main routine</i>:
>    <pre class="src src-C" id="main_routine" file="burns.c">
>      #include <stdio.h>
>      int main (int argc, char * argv[])
>      {
> gracey}}</i></a>
>        return 0;
>      }
>    </pre>

This behavior should be fairly easily implemented through customizing
the `org-babel-exp-code-template' variable, you can put any arbitrary
Org-mode text into this template including literal HTML.  See its
documentation string for more information.

> You can probably see how if I could get those mangled
> "id" attributes in there, along with the hyperlinks,
> it's pretty easy to tangle the result to produce a
> source file like:
>
>     #include <stdio.h>
>     int main (int argc, char * argv[])
>     {
>       printf ("Goodnight, Gracey\n");
>       return 0;
>     }
>
> Any suggestions on what I would need to do
> to get code blocks like this?   The precise details of
> the particular HTML mark-up are a little bit
> flexible.
>
> Huge "bonus points" if I can specify arbitrary
> attributes (not just "id" and "file") *and*
> introduce spans with a specific "id" in code.
> Like:
>
>    #+BEGIN_SRC C id="print something" params="thing rest"
>      printf (/*{thing}*/, /*{rest}*/);
>    #+END_SRC
>
> for
>     <pre ... id="print_something" params="thing rest">
>       printf (<span ... name="thing">/*thing*/</span>, ...);
>     </pre>
>
> and
>
>     #+BEGIN_SRC id="main routine" ...
>     int main (int argc, char * argv[])
>     {
>       //{{print something}thing={"argc is %d\n"}rest={argc}}
>       return 0;
>     }
>     #+END_SRC
>
> for the obvious HTML expansion, all to ultimately generate
> (through the XSLT code):

>     int main (...)
>     {
>        printf ("argc is %d\n", argc);
>     }

If you're willing to hack ob-exp.el locally you could add specific
header arguments to the `org-babel-exp-code-template' template.  I'm not
clear on a good way to do this for *any* header argument which would be
general enough to push up to the main Org-mode trunk.

Cheers,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/