* capture template question
@ 2012-08-02  6:54 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-02  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have a capture template that I use for noting gnus messages I want to
respond to. What I'd like to end up with is:

* EMAIL Respond to [[gnus.mail:sdfdfdfsdfdsfsdf][Bob Johnson]]

Where the link address is the message under point, and the link
description is the message's %:fromname.

I may be dense, but I don't quite see if/how this is possible…

Thanks!
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.11)
 of 2012-08-02 on pellet

* Re: capture template question
@ 2012-08-02  7:05 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-08-02  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> I have a capture template that I use for noting gnus messages I want
> to respond to. What I'd like to end up with is:
>
> * EMAIL Respond to [[gnus.mail:sdfdfdfsdfdsfsdf][Bob Johnson]]
>
> Where the link address is the message under point, and the link
> description is the message's %:fromname.
>
> I may be dense, but I don't quite see if/how this is possible…

An org-capture-templates entry like that should do:

  ("e" "EMAIL" entry
   (file "/home/horn/Repos/org/remember.org") ;; adapt to your needs
   "* EMAIL Respond to %a%?")

In contrast to what you requested, the link's name is something like

  Email from Eric Abrahamsen: capture template question

I think, that's even better.  (Honestly, it seems there's no gnus link
support for picking out only the from-part.) :-)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: capture template question
@ 2012-08-02  8:36   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Aug 02 2012, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
>> I have a capture template that I use for noting gnus messages I want
>> to respond to. What I'd like to end up with is:
>>
>> * EMAIL Respond to [[gnus.mail:sdfdfdfsdfdsfsdf][Bob Johnson]]
>>
>> Where the link address is the message under point, and the link
>> description is the message's %:fromname.
>>
>> I may be dense, but I don't quite see if/how this is possible…
>
> An org-capture-templates entry like that should do:
>
>   ("e" "EMAIL" entry
>    (file "/home/horn/Repos/org/remember.org") ;; adapt to your needs
>    "* EMAIL Respond to %a%?")
>
> In contrast to what you requested, the link's name is something like
>
>   Email from Eric Abrahamsen: capture template question
>
> I think, that's even better.  (Honestly, it seems there's no gnus link
> support for picking out only the from-part.) :-)

That's what I had before! I hate the big long citation (I seem to get
emails with epic Subject headers), and was trying to make something more
concise.

Rather than trying to add various ways of citing links, perhaps it would
be nice to have a format code for the literal link to the thing under
point at time of capture? What I mean is, something like "%l" so I could
do this:

* EMAIL Respond to [[%l][%:fromname]]%?

Seems like that would add quite a bit of flexibility…

@ 2012-08-02 15:07     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

> Rather than trying to add various ways of citing links, perhaps it would
> be nice to have a format code for the literal link to the thing under
> point at time of capture? What I mean is, something like "%l" so I could
> do this:
>
> * EMAIL Respond to [[%l][%:fromname]]%?

Good idea.  You can now use %l to insert this literal link.

--
 Bastien

* Re: capture template question
@ 2012-08-02 15:37       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Aug 02 2012, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Eric,

>> Rather than trying to add various ways of citing links, perhaps it would
>> be nice to have a format code for the literal link to the thing under
>> point at time of capture? What I mean is, something like "%l" so I could
>> do this:
>>
>> * EMAIL Respond to [[%l][%:fromname]]%?
>
> Good idea.  You can now use %l to insert this literal link.

Brilliant! Thank you.

--

@ 2012-08-03  9:13       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-08-03  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

>> Rather than trying to add various ways of citing links, perhaps it
>> would be nice to have a format code for the literal link to the thing
>> under point at time of capture? What I mean is, something like "%l"
>> so I could do this:
>>
>> * EMAIL Respond to [[%l][%:fromname]]%?
>
> Good idea.  You can now use %l to insert this literal link.

Oh, why I didn't come up with something like that is because the docs
state that %:fromname is not supported by Gnus.

,----[ C-h v org-capture-templates RET ]
| org-capture-templates is a variable defined in `org-capture.el'.
| [...]
| Link type               |  Available information
| ------------------------+------------------------------------------------------
| bbdb                    |  %:type %:name %:company
| vm, wl, mh, mew, rmail  |  %:type %:subject %:message-id
|                         |  %:from %:fromname %:fromaddress
|                         |  %:to   %:toname   %:toaddress
|                         |  %:fromto (either "to NAME" or "from NAME")
|                         |  %:date
|                         |  %:date-timestamp (as active timestamp)
|                         |  %:date-timestamp-inactive (as inactive timestamp)
| gnus                    |  %:group, for messages also all email fields
| w3, w3m                 |  %:type %:url
| info                    |  %:type %:file %:node
| calendar                |  %:type %:date
`----

Should gnus also by in the list of vm, wl, mh, mew, and rmail?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: capture template question
@ 2012-08-03 12:06         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Should gnus also by in the list of vm, wl, mh, mew, and rmail?

Indeed.  Fixed, thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: capture template question
@ 2012-08-03 12:18         ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-08-03 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Aug 03 2012, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Rather than trying to add various ways of citing links, perhaps it
>>> would be nice to have a format code for the literal link to the thing
>>> under point at time of capture? What I mean is, something like "%l"
>>> so I could do this:
>>>
>>> * EMAIL Respond to [[%l][%:fromname]]%?
>>
>> Good idea.  You can now use %l to insert this literal link.
>
> Oh, why I didn't come up with something like that is because the docs
> state that %:fromname is not supported by Gnus.
>
> ,----[ C-h v org-capture-templates RET ]
> | org-capture-templates is a variable defined in `org-capture.el'.
> | [...]
> | Link type               |  Available information
> | ------------------------+------------------------------------------------------
> | bbdb                    |  %:type %:name %:company
> | vm, wl, mh, mew, rmail  |  %:type %:subject %:message-id
> |                         |  %:from %:fromname %:fromaddress
> |                         |  %:to   %:toname   %:toaddress
> |                         |  %:fromto (either "to NAME" or "from NAME")
> |                         |  %:date
> |                         |  %:date-timestamp (as active timestamp)
> |                         |  %:date-timestamp-inactive (as inactive timestamp)
> | gnus                    |  %:group, for messages also all email fields
> | w3, w3m                 |  %:type %:url
> | info                    |  %:type %:file %:node
> | calendar                |  %:type %:date
> `----
>
> Should gnus also by in the list of vm, wl, mh, mew, and rmail?

I had always assumed that "for messages also all email fields" meant
that all the codes mentioned for the other MUAs also applied… %:fromname
is working for me out of gnus.