* Running babel blocks in :noexport: sections
@ 2012-10-27 19:03 John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-10-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

For papers and beamer presentations, I sometimes hide more "universal"
babel blocks inside a sort of setup headline. I thought I'd done this
before, but perhaps not... The idea would be like so:

* Data setup     :noexport:

#+begin_src R :session r

load libraries
read data files
do universal operations

#+end_src

* Slide

#+begin_src R :session r :exports results :results output graphics

subset(larger_data_set_from_above)
processing
plot something

#+end_src

I noticed today that my :noexport: setup sections (I had a couple)
were not updating. I re-defined a variable name further down in my
file and it was re-using the definition from an above setup section
(tagged with :noexport:). Just because I don't want it export doesn't
mean I don't want to have useful stuff in the headline...

Is this a bug/inappropriate setting, desirable based on how others use
:noexport: headlines, or would others see value in executing babel
blocks in :noexport: headlines?

If I /didn't/ want it executed, I'd use :execute no.

Thanks for any input,
John

* Re: Running babel blocks in :noexport: sections
@ 2012-10-27 20:14 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-27 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Is this a bug/inappropriate setting, desirable based on how others use
> :noexport: headlines, or would others see value in executing babel
> blocks in :noexport: headlines?
>
> If I /didn't/ want it executed, I'd use :execute no.

This is the behaviour of the new export engine. The current exporter
removes :noexport: sections before executing src blocks within (it
always did).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Running babel blocks in :noexport: sections
@ 2012-10-27 22:57 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-10-27 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> For papers and beamer presentations, I sometimes hide more "universal"
> babel blocks inside a sort of setup headline. I thought I'd done this
> before, but perhaps not... The idea would be like so:
>
> * Data setup     :noexport:
>
> #+begin_src R :session r
>
> load libraries
> read data files
> do universal operations
>
> #+end_src
>
> * Slide
>
> #+begin_src R :session r :exports results :results output graphics
>
> subset(larger_data_set_from_above)
> processing
> plot something
>
> #+end_src
>
> I noticed today that my :noexport: setup sections (I had a couple)
> were not updating. I re-defined a variable name further down in my
> file and it was re-using the definition from an above setup section
> (tagged with :noexport:). Just because I don't want it export doesn't
> mean I don't want to have useful stuff in the headline...
>
> Is this a bug/inappropriate setting, desirable based on how others use
> :noexport: headlines, or would others see value in executing babel
> blocks in :noexport: headlines?
>
> If I /didn't/ want it executed, I'd use :execute no.
>

> Thanks for any input,
> John

Instead of tagging the headline as :noexport: you can add the COMMENT
flag to it.  This should result in your desired behavior.  See the
attached example.

[-- Attachment #2: commented-headline.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 191 bytes --]

#+Title: example

* COMMENT not exported but run
#+name: the-date
#+begin_src sh
  date
#+end_src

* exported and able to call into un-exported subtrees
The date today is,
#+call: the-date()

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Running babel blocks in :noexport: sections
@ 2012-10-28 17:23   ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-10-28 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:57 PM, Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> For papers and beamer presentations, I sometimes hide more "universal"
>> babel blocks inside a sort of setup headline. I thought I'd done this
>> before, but perhaps not... The idea would be like so:
>>
>> * Data setup     :noexport:
>>
>> #+begin_src R :session r
>>
>> load libraries
>> read data files
>> do universal operations
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> * Slide
>>
>> #+begin_src R :session r :exports results :results output graphics
>>
>> subset(larger_data_set_from_above)
>> processing
>> plot something
>>
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I noticed today that my :noexport: setup sections (I had a couple)
>> were not updating. I re-defined a variable name further down in my
>> file and it was re-using the definition from an above setup section
>> (tagged with :noexport:). Just because I don't want it export doesn't
>> mean I don't want to have useful stuff in the headline...
>>
>> Is this a bug/inappropriate setting, desirable based on how others use
>> :noexport: headlines, or would others see value in executing babel
>> blocks in :noexport: headlines?
>>
>> If I /didn't/ want it executed, I'd use :execute no.
>>

>> Thanks for any input,
>> John
>>

> Instead of tagging the headline as :noexport: you can add the COMMENT
> flag to it.  This should result in your desired behavior.  See the
> attached example.

Brilliant. That'll do just fine. Never knew about that!

John

@ 2012-10-28 20:22     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-10-28 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Just kidding... just checked *Messages* buffer, and all the headlines
I converted to COMMENT headlines are *not* executing the enclosed
babel blocks.

Is there a setting for this you have and I don't?

John

@ 2012-10-28 21:14       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-10-28 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> Just kidding... just checked *Messages* buffer, and all the headlines
> I converted to COMMENT headlines are *not* executing the enclosed
> babel blocks.
>
> Is there a setting for this you have and I don't?

Not that I know of.

Are you using the new or the old exporter?  What behavior do you get
when running with emacs -Q?

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte