* Agenda highlighting bug
@ 2012-12-05 21:30 Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-12-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I recently added an org file which is an import from our community
service, the so-called "Müllabfuhr", which I put in "müllabfuhr.org".

The agenda fails to highlight these entries however. It's not terrible,
actually it's JUST PERFECT because this is such a minor thing but it
sucks to miss it.

Now that's obviously a bug. But I really like to attenuate some entries,
just as approaching deadlines are set in bold. Is there any feature to
achieve this (ideally based on tags, not presence of weird characters in
the file name)?

Cheers,

Simon

* Re: Agenda highlighting bug
@ 2012-12-24  8:48 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-24  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Simon,

Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:

> I recently added an org file which is an import from our community service,
> the so-called "Müllabfuhr", which I put in "müllabfuhr.org".
>
> The agenda fails to highlight these entries however. It's not terrible,
> actually it's JUST PERFECT because this is such a minor thing but it sucks
> to miss it.

Could you provide a minimal config and example to reproduce this bug?
Special character should not prevent the inclusion of tasks in the
agenda, and I never noticed anything like this before...

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Agenda highlighting bug
@ 2012-12-25 19:48   ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-12-25 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/24/2012 09:48 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Thum<simon.thum@gmx.de>  writes:
>
>> I recently added an org file which is an import from our community service,
>> the so-called "Müllabfuhr", which I put in "müllabfuhr.org".
>>
>> The agenda fails to highlight these entries however. It's not terrible,
>> actually it's JUST PERFECT because this is such a minor thing but it sucks
>> to miss it.
>
> Could you provide a minimal config and example to reproduce this bug?
> Special character should not prevent the inclusion of tasks in the
> agenda, and I never noticed anything like this before...

I can't reproduce it currently, maybe it was just that most agenda
entries are scheduled/dealined and the highlighting was actually normal.

The more difficult problem for me was that the agenda file in my case
contains a list of files which is synchronised over systems. Wherever I
add this file (win32 vs. linux) the other system fails to load the
agenda then.

I dropped back to non-special surrogates but it feels like 90s. Can I
set the agenda file's encoding or is there something else which comes to
mind?

I'd also like to use this opportunity to ask about more graceful agenda
handling of changed files. When someone (not emacs) touches agenda
files, the agenda code fails horribly. That is even if the file is
readonly or has the "#+READONLY" header (which seems menaingful only to
org-mobile). It would be preferable to just reload in this case. ATM, I
am queried about something related to reloading and the agenda cancels
no matter what I say.

Cheers,

Simon

* Re: Agenda highlighting bug
@ 2012-12-29 10:28     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-29 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Simon,

Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:

> I dropped back to non-special surrogates but it feels like 90s. Can I set
> the agenda file's encoding or is there something else which comes to mind?

Let's first try to reproduce the bug :)

--
 Bastien

* In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back (was: Agenda highlighting bug)
@ 2012-12-29 10:29     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-29 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Simon,

(New thread for this topic.)

Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:

> I'd also like to use this opportunity to ask about more graceful agenda
> handling of changed files. When someone (not emacs) touches agenda files,
> the agenda code fails horribly.   That is even if the file is readonly or has
> the "#+READONLY" header (which seems menaingful only to org-mobile). It
> would be preferable to just reload in this case. ATM, I am queried about
> something related to reloading and the agenda cancels no matter what I
> say.

I get the gist of what may happen here, but I'd need a reproducible
recipe to know where to put the checks.  Sorry to put the burden on
your shoulders, but this would help a lot!

 Bastien

* Re: In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back
@ 2012-12-29 11:17       ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-12-29 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/29/2012 11:29 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> (New thread for this topic.)
>
> Simon Thum<simon.thum@gmx.de>  writes:
>
>> I'd also like to use this opportunity to ask about more graceful agenda
>> handling of changed files. When someone (not emacs) touches agenda files,
>> the agenda code fails horribly.   That is even if the file is readonly or has
>> the "#+READONLY" header (which seems menaingful only to org-mobile). It
>> would be preferable to just reload in this case. ATM, I am queried about
>> something related to reloading and the agenda cancels no matter what I
>> say.
>
> I get the gist of what may happen here, but I'd need a reproducible
> recipe to know where to put the checks.  Sorry to put the burden on
> your shoulders, but this would help a lot!

It's not a burden at all. This recipe breaks for me:

1 ) invoke agenda

2) > touch some_agenda_file.org

3) invoke agenda again

I am asked: some_agenda_file.org changed on disk; really edit the
buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)

No matter what I answer, the agenda does not show up. Using r, I can get
the agenda in a repeat call.

My argument is that read-only buffers are not supposed to change on
emacs' side, so it would always be OK to re-read them.

Cheers,

Simon

* Re: In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back
@ 2012-12-29 13:29         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-29 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Thum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Simon,

Simon Thum <simon.thum@gmx.de> writes:

> It's not a burden at all. This recipe breaks for me:
>
> 1 ) invoke agenda
>
> 2) > touch some_agenda_file.org
>
> 3) invoke agenda again
>
> I am asked: some_agenda_file.org changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
> (y, n, r or C-h)
>
> No matter what I answer, the agenda does not show up. Using r, I can get
> the agenda in a repeat call.
>
> My argument is that read-only buffers are not supposed to change on emacs'
> side, so it would always be OK to re-read them.

I understand and I agree.

There is no simple fix, though.  I'll put this on my "watch list".

Best,

--

@ 2012-12-29 13:40           ` Simon Thum
From: Simon Thum @ 2012-12-29 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 12/29/2012 02:29 PM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon Thum<simon.thum@gmx.de>  writes:
>
>> It's not a burden at all. This recipe breaks for me:
>>
>> 1 ) invoke agenda
>>
>> 2)>  touch some_agenda_file.org
>>
>> 3) invoke agenda again
>>
>> I am asked: some_agenda_file.org changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
>> (y, n, r or C-h)
>>
>> No matter what I answer, the agenda does not show up. Using r, I can get
>> the agenda in a repeat call.
>>
>> My argument is that read-only buffers are not supposed to change on emacs'
>> side, so it would always be OK to re-read them.
>
> I understand and I agree.
>
> There is no simple fix, though.  I'll put this on my "watch list".

Thanks for that. I assumed it would be easier.

I'm using a fair amount of generated org files, and what especially
sucks with this behaviour is that _each changed file_ requires one
agenda building attempt. So before re-reading 3 org files it is easier
to restart emacs.

Cheers,

Simon

* Re: In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back
@ 2012-12-29 15:47           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-29 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 29.12.2012 14:29, schrieb Bastien:
>> My argument is that read-only buffers are not supposed to change on emacs'
>> side, so it would always be OK to re-read them.

If that is true (I don't really know), then auto-revert-mode should keep
them in sync with the file on disk.

> There is no simple fix, though.  I'll put this on my "watch list".

I think that, aside from the above suggestion, it may be worth pondering
if Org should really "visit" those files that it just needs to look at
for building the agenda.  If it would not visit them (Emacs must visit a
file that the user opened in edit mode obviously), the problem should
not appear.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: In agenda, better handling of files changed behind Org's back
@ 2012-12-29 17:50             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-29 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@Nexgo.DE> writes:

> I think that, aside from the above suggestion, it may be worth pondering if
> Org should really "visit" those files that it just needs to look at for
> building the agenda.  If it would not visit them (Emacs must visit a file
> that the user opened in edit mode obviously), the problem should not
> appear.

The problem is that Org does not only need to "look" at the files,
it also adds text properties for example, which is considered editing
by Emacs, even the modification only affects the buffer, not the file.

We could try to use `with-buffer-modified-unmodified' a bit more, but
I'm not convinved.

--
 Bastien