* References
@ 2014-03-01 16:11 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-01 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I'm using [fn:1] to reference articles in an academic article, but how
should I reference it back from the list of references at the end of
the article please?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.50.1
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: References
@ 2014-03-01 18:22 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-01 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> I'm using [fn:1] to reference articles in an academic article, but how
> should I reference it back from the list of references at the end of
> the article please?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Not sure what you mean: in the org-mode buffer or in some exported file?
In the former case, C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the text takes you
to the footnote and C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the footnote takes
you back.

--
Nick

* Re: References
@ 2014-03-01 19:35   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-01 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0500
Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > I'm using [fn:1] to reference articles in an academic article, but
> > how should I reference it back from the list of references at the
> > end of the article please?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharon.
>
> Not sure what you mean: in the org-mode buffer or in some exported
> file? In the former case, C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the text
> takes you to the footnote and C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the
> footnote takes you back.

The article is in org-mode and I can open the file easily in a buffer,
and everywhere that the original article has a reference to a numbered
item in the 'References' section at the end of the article, I have put
[fn:*] where * is the number of the reference. The [fn:*] has been
manually put in, without using any keybindings or macros.

What I'm now looking for is some way to link my [fn:*] to its mate in
the reference list. Can it be done please?

@ 2014-03-01 20:03     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-01 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0500
> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>>
>> > I'm using [fn:1] to reference articles in an academic article, but
>> > how should I reference it back from the list of references at the
>> > end of the article please?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Sharon.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean: in the org-mode buffer or in some exported
>> file? In the former case, C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the text
>> takes you to the footnote and C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the
>> footnote takes you back.
>>
> The article is in org-mode and I can open the file easily in a buffer,
> and everywhere that the original article has a reference to a numbered
> item in the 'References' section at the end of the article, I have put
> [fn:*] where * is the number of the reference. The [fn:*] has been
> manually put in, without using any keybindings or macros.
>
> What I'm now looking for is some way to link my [fn:*] to its mate in
> the reference list. Can it be done please?

Sure: here's the general outline:

* Section

This takes us to a footnote[fn:1].

* References

[fn:1] This is the footnote.

Just label each footnote with the corresponding footnote mark and you
should be OK. After all, it's all plain text.

--
Nick

* Re: References
@ 2014-03-01 20:58       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-01 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 15:03:55 -0500
Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0500
> > Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure what you mean: in the org-mode buffer or in some exported
> >> file? In the former case, C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the
> >> text takes you to the footnote and C-c C-c on the footnote marker
> >> in the footnote takes you back.
> >>
> > The article is in org-mode and I can open the file easily in a
> > buffer, and everywhere that the original article has a reference to
> > a numbered item in the 'References' section at the end of the
> > article, I have put [fn:*] where * is the number of the reference.
> > The [fn:*] has been manually put in, without using any keybindings
> > or macros.
> >
> > What I'm now looking for is some way to link my [fn:*] to its mate
> > in the reference list. Can it be done please?
> >

> Sure: here's the general outline:

> * Section
>
> This takes us to a footnote[fn:1].
>
> * References
>
> [fn:1] This is the footnote.
>
> Just label each footnote with the corresponding footnote mark and you
> should be OK. After all, it's all plain text.

Brilliant! Thank you very much, it works! And so easily too :)

Thanks again

@ 2014-03-02  1:59         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-02  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

>> Just label each footnote with the corresponding footnote mark and you
>> should be OK. After all, it's all plain text.
>>
> Brilliant! Thank you very much, it works! And so easily too :)

It is indeed brilliant: Carsten's vision of doing so much *with plain
text* keeps paying out dividends time after time.

BTW, you might want to find out about org-footnote-action (and perhaps
bind it to some key so you can easily call it): no need to do things by
hand.

--
Nick

* Re: References
@ 2014-03-05 10:29       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-05 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 15:03:55 -0500
Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 01 Mar 2014 13:22:45 -0500
> > Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Not sure what you mean: in the org-mode buffer or in some exported
> >> file? In the former case, C-c C-c on the footnote marker in the
> >> text takes you to the footnote and C-c C-c on the footnote marker
> >> in the footnote takes you back.
> >>
> > The article is in org-mode and I can open the file easily in a
> > buffer, and everywhere that the original article has a reference to
> > a numbered item in the 'References' section at the end of the
> > article, I have put [fn:*] where * is the number of the reference.
> > The [fn:*] has been manually put in, without using any keybindings
> > or macros.
> >
> > What I'm now looking for is some way to link my [fn:*] to its mate
> > in the reference list. Can it be done please?
> >

> Sure: here's the general outline:

> * Section
>
> This takes us to a footnote[fn:1].
>
> * References
>
> [fn:1] This is the footnote.
>
> Just label each footnote with the corresponding footnote mark and you
> should be OK. After all, it's all plain text.

After spending some time on it, I've just exported the article to my
blog using 'org2blog' and looking at the preview of the post, I see
that what I know of as 'references', headed that in the original, is
showing as 'Footnotes', although there is already a section [in the org
doc] headed Footnotes and which is not exported.

How can I get the 'Footnote' section to be the same as the org-doc, and
the 'References' section to contain the references, the same as the
org-doc please?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1

@ 2014-03-05 12:15         ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-03-05 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> After spending some time on it, I've just exported the article to my
> blog using 'org2blog' and looking at the preview of the post, I see
> that what I know of as 'references', headed that in the original, is
> showing as 'Footnotes', although there is already a section [in the org
> doc] headed Footnotes and which is not exported.
>
> How can I get the 'Footnote' section to be the same as the org-doc, and
> the 'References' section to contain the references, the same as the
> org-doc please?

Customize org-footnote-section.

--
Nick