* Spurious elements in HTML export
@ 2014-05-15  8:42 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-05-15  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Using the HTML exporter, I easily get spurious empty elements.
Example:

Org-mode:

* Section
[2014-05-15 jeu. 10:29]

** Subsection 1
[2014-05-15 jeu. 10:28]

Foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

** Subsection 2
[2014-05-15 jeu. 10:29]

Foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

After C-c C-e C-s C-b h H, HTML:

<h2>Table of Contents</h2>
<ul>
</ul>

<h2 id="sec-1"><span class="section-number-2">1</span> Subsection 1</h2>

Foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

<h2 id="sec-2"><span class="section-number-2">2</span> Subsection 2</h2>

Foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar
foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo
bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar

My questions:
- is this what is expected ?
- why those 3 <p></p> ?
- why are they surrounded by those divs ?

I don't see the point in generating those empty <p></p> elements, and even
less in wrapping them with figure class.

If I remove the empty lines following the date/time stamps, then  I get
only the first of those empty blocks.
However, doing this, I trigger what i think is inconsistent between the
HTML and the LaTeX exporter: if there is no empty line after the date
stamp, the LaTeX exporter exports the date stamp. The HTML exporter doesn't.

Thanks for clarifications on this topic.

--
Fabrice

* Re: Spurious elements in HTML export
@ 2014-05-15  8:55 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Fabrice,

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Using the HTML exporter, I easily get spurious empty elements.

I can't reproduce this.  Do you have a recipe with a minimal
configuration ?

Also mention your Org and Emacs version.

 Bastien

* Re: Spurious elements in HTML export
@ 2014-05-15  9:20   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-05-15  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Hi Fabrice,
>
> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Using the HTML exporter, I easily get spurious empty elements.
>
> I can't reproduce this.  Do you have a recipe with a minimal
> configuration ?

This is already good to know!
I'll try to bisect my emacs config.

Recipe : the sole org fragment from my message in an org buffer,
and export the subtree in an html buffer with C-c C-e C-s C-b h H

> Also mention your Org and Emacs version.

Org: git latest (from today). Emacs 24.4 (trunk devel, under Windows, yeah
I know ...).

I suspect the problem might come from org-html-standalone-image-p
(incorrectly finding an image for an empty paragraph) or even from
org-string-nw-p.

What org-string-nw-p should return on a string with the single EOL
character?

BTW, I wonder if org-html-standalone-image-p does actually what is
documented. It is documented
as returning non-nil in one of two cases: element is of type paragraph or
of type link.
But its code starts with:

 (and (eq (org-element-type paragraph) 'paragraph)
        ...)

which seems to prevent the second case. That is certainly unrelated to my
problem.

@ 2014-05-15  9:26     ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-05-15  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> BTW, I wonder if org-html-standalone-image-p does actually what is
> documented. It is documented
> as returning non-nil in one of two cases: element is of type paragraph or
> of type link.
> But its code starts with:
>
>  (and (eq (org-element-type paragraph) 'paragraph)
>         ...)
>
> which seems to prevent the second case. That is certainly unrelated to my
> problem.

Sorry. I misread the code. Forget about this false interpretation.

@ 2014-05-15  9:45     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-15  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Let's first try to safely reproduce the problem before pointing
fingers on some functions -- bisecting your config will surely
help!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Spurious elements in HTML export
@ 2014-05-15 11:46 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-05-15 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@gmail.com> writes:

> Using the HTML exporter, I easily get spurious empty elements.
> Example:
>
> Org-mode:
>
> * Section
> [2014-05-15 jeu. 10:29]
>
> ** Subsection 1
> [2014-05-15 jeu. 10:28]

[...]

> <h2>Table of Contents</h2>
> <ul>
> </ul>

This should be fixed. Thank you for reporting it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Spurious elements in HTML export
@ 2014-05-15 12:37   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2014-05-15 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)