* org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 10:26 Sharon Kimble
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2015-03-31 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I am attempting again to write a latex document with org-mode. The
org-mode part is no problem, but the latex part is awkward. This is
the first few line of my org-mode document -

#+TITLE:     The history of custard pies.
#+AUTHOR:    Sharon Kimble
#+EMAIL:     boudiccas@skimble.plus.com
#+DATE:      01-04-2015
#+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
# #+Latex_Class: mysty
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en

* Blargh

The latex file "mysty" is actually "mysty.sty" and contains all the
latex files that I want to use, but it doesn't appear to be loading,
and I can't see why? My idea of having *all* the latex packages in
one file is so that I hope to be able to have it in its own
directory and then symlink it to each projects main org-mode file so
that I would have a known working setup, right from the start!

The first few lines of "mysty.sty" are

\NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
\ProvidesClass{mysty}[31-03-2015]

\RequirePackage[l2tabu,orthodox]{nag}
\RequirePackage{fixltx2e}
\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
% \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{book}
% \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
% \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{memoir} NO
% \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{scrbook}
%%\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{scrreprt}
\usepackage{morewrites}
\usepackage{tocloft}
\usepackage[stretch=10]{microtype}
\setlength\parindent{0pt} % sets indent to zero
\setlength{\parskip}{5pt} % changes vertical space between paragraphs
\setcounter{tocdepth}{1}

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.4.1.0

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 10:34 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-31 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: org-mode

Hello,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I am attempting again to write a latex document with org-mode. The
> org-mode part is no problem, but the latex part is awkward. This is
> the first few line of my org-mode document -
>

> #+TITLE:     The history of custard pies.
> #+AUTHOR:    Sharon Kimble
> #+EMAIL:     boudiccas@skimble.plus.com
> #+DATE:      01-04-2015
> #+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
> # #+Latex_Class: mysty
> #+KEYWORDS:
> #+LANGUAGE:  en
>
> * Blargh
>

> The latex file "mysty" is actually "mysty.sty" and contains all the
> latex files that I want to use, but it doesn't appear to be loading,
> and I can't see why? My idea of having *all* the latex packages in
> one file is so that I hope to be able to have it in its own
> directory and then symlink it to each projects main org-mode file so
> that I would have a known working setup, right from the start!

LATEX_CLASS matches an entry in `org-latex-classes', not a .sty file.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 10:36 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-03-31 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> #+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
> # #+Latex_Class: mysty

Use #+latex_header.

—Rasmus

--
Together we will make the possible totalllly impossible!

* Re: org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 15:59 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-03-31 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

On 2015-03-31, at 12:26, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:

> I am attempting again to write a latex document with org-mode. The
> org-mode part is no problem, but the latex part is awkward. This is
> the first few line of my org-mode document -

> #+TITLE:     The history of custard pies.
> #+AUTHOR:    Sharon Kimble
> #+EMAIL:     boudiccas@skimble.plus.com
> #+DATE:      01-04-2015
> #+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
> # #+Latex_Class: mysty
> #+KEYWORDS:
> #+LANGUAGE:  en
>
> * Blargh
>
> The latex file "mysty" is actually "mysty.sty" and contains all the
> latex files that I want to use, but it doesn't appear to be loading,
> and I can't see why? My idea of having *all* the latex packages in
> one file is so that I hope to be able to have it in its own
> directory and then symlink it to each projects main org-mode file so
> that I would have a known working setup, right from the start!

1. Then, why not put your customizations in a custom LaTeX class (based
on an existing one)?  Currently, you have a package/class mix (see
below).  See clsguide.pdf in your TeX distro for details about how to do
it (see e.g. section "Example: a newsletter class")

2. And no need to symlink it anywhere.  If you have it in e.g.
~/texmf/tex/latex/mystuff/myclass.cls, run mktexlsr (assuming you are on
TeXlive) and then just \usepackage{mypackage} or
\documentclass{myclass}.  It is only necessary to run mktexlsr again in
case of a change in the directory under ~/texmf, so e.g. new files or
filename changes, but not just updating the file itself.

> The first few lines of "mysty.sty" are

> \NeedsTeXFormat{LaTeX2e}
> \ProvidesClass{mysty}[31-03-2015]

For .sty, this ^^ should be \ProvidesPackage.  Again, see clsguide.pdf.

> \RequirePackage[l2tabu,orthodox]{nag}

Probably a good idea.

> \RequirePackage{fixltx2e}
> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
> % \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{book}
> % \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{report}
> % \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{memoir} NO
> % \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{scrbook}
> %%\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{scrreprt}

This should be \LoadClass (or similar, like \LoadClassWithOptions) in
a class file.

> \usepackage{morewrites}
> \usepackage{tocloft}
> \usepackage[stretch=10]{microtype}
> \setlength\parindent{0pt} % sets indent to zero
> \setlength{\parskip}{5pt} % changes vertical space between paragraphs

Tsk, tsk.  What about \usepackage{parskip}?

> \setcounter{tocdepth}{1}
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks
> Sharon.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 16:54   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-03-31 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tuesday, 31 Mar 2015 at 12:36, Rasmus wrote:
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>
>> #+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
>
> Use #+latex_header.

And possibly omit the full path as LaTeX should be able to find
mysty.sty if located within the ~/texmf directory. (untested)
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.4.1, Org release_8.3beta-820-gd92ef9

* Re: org-mode to latex, again!
@ 2015-03-31 18:46     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-03-31 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, emacs-orgmode

On 2015-03-31, at 18:54, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 Mar 2015 at 12:36, Rasmus wrote:
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:
>>
>>> #+LATEX:     \usepackage{~/texmf/tex/latex/commonstuff/mysty}
>>
>> Use #+latex_header.
>
> And possibly omit the full path as LaTeX should be able to find
> mysty.sty if located within the ~/texmf directory. (untested)

As I wrote - yes, provided you update the filename database
(e.g. launching mktexlsr from the command line).  (Because of speed, TeX
does not search the directory tree each time it looks for a package or
something, but uses a database in a familiar, "ls -R" format.)

Best,

--

@ 2015-04-02 13:26       ` Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2015-04-02 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> writes:

> As I wrote - yes, provided you update the filename database
> (e.g. launching mktexlsr from the command line). (Because of speed, TeX
> does not search the directory tree each time it looks for a package or
> something, but uses a database in a familiar, "ls -R" format.)

This is true, but with one exception: the user texmf tree. So
everything below ~/texmf (or ~/Library/texmf on Mac OS X) should work
without running mktexlsr (on a default TeXLive installation).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.