From: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problem with threeparttable and sidewaystable, or: change request for (org-latex-tables-centered) behaviour
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 23:38:31 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi,

Aaron Ecay <aaronecay@gmail.com> writes:

>> If the \centering would also be used for threeparttable or any
>> environment, there would be no conflict at all (I think).  I do
>> not  really understand why why the center environment is used
>> in the first  place: it apparently causes conflicts with
>> several environments, but in  effect seems to be no different
>> from the center environment.
>
> [ I assume you meant “no different from \centering” ]
>
> This is because in your example the table is exported as
> non-floating.  \centering only works as intended inside a Latex
> group, which non-floating tables are not (necessarily) contained
> in.
>
> Perhaps we should use “{\centering” and “}” to center
> non-floating tables – I’m not enough of a latex guru to know the
> pros and cons.  Do you have a reference that documents how the
> environment version causes problems, or are you speaking from
> experience?

I'd not like that.  As I recall vertical spacing is often off when
you do this.

threeparttable seems ill-suited for Org IMO.  The syntax is just
too specialized.  E.g. tablenotes block also does not support
itemize so you have to insert @@latex:\item @@.

Perhaps one of the alternative packages mentioned here¹ could be
used.

bidiftnxtra² might also be interesting (I haven’t tested).  From
the manual:

    In standard LaTeX you can not use footnotes inside \chapter,
    \part, \section, \subsection, \subsection and any other
    section-like commands, \caption and tabular environment. bidi
    package provides bidiftnxtra package that solves the issue of
    footnote in standard LaTeX.

Rasmus

Footnotes:  ¹
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1583/footnotes-in-tables  ²