* Bug: ordered property blocks grandchildren [9.1.3 (9.1.3-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171116/)]
@ 2017-11-21  1:18 Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2017-11-21  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Create a file tmp.org with contents

    * TODO parent
      :PROPERTIES:
      :ORDERED:  t
      :END:
    ** TODO child1
    ** TODO child2
    *** TODO grandchild1
    *** TODO grandchild2

1. emacs -Q
2. M-: (setq org-enforce-todo-dependencies t) RET
3. C-x C-f tmp.org RET
4. Move point to grandchild2
5. C-c C-t

user-error: TODO state change from TODO to DONE blocked (by "TODO child1")

The documentation emphasizes that ORDERED is not inherited.  The
behavior that I would expect is that child1 blocks child2, but it should
not block grandchild1 or grandchild2.

However, I think the current behavior is also reasonable under some
workflows.  I’m creating a bug to track opinions, if one behavior is
significantly more desired than the other, or if an option to control
this behavior would be welcome.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.22.11), modified by Debian
Package: Org mode version 9.1.3 (9.1.3-elpaplus @
/usr/local/google/home/ayatane/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171116/)

* Re: Bug: ordered property blocks grandchildren [9.1.3 (9.1.3-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171116/)]
@ 2017-11-27 20:01 ` Allen Li
From: Allen Li @ 2017-11-27 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Create a file tmp.org with contents
>
>     * TODO parent
>       :PROPERTIES:
>       :ORDERED:  t
>       :END:
>     ** TODO child1
>     ** TODO child2
>     *** TODO grandchild1
>     *** TODO grandchild2
>
> 1. emacs -Q
> 2. M-: (setq org-enforce-todo-dependencies t) RET
> 3. C-x C-f tmp.org RET
> 4. Move point to grandchild2
> 5. C-c C-t
>
> user-error: TODO state change from TODO to DONE blocked (by "TODO child1")
>
> The documentation emphasizes that ORDERED is not inherited.  The
> behavior that I would expect is that child1 blocks child2, but it should
> not block grandchild1 or grandchild2.
>
> However, I think the current behavior is also reasonable under some
> workflows.  I’m creating a bug to track opinions, if one behavior is
> significantly more desired than the other, or if an option to control
> this behavior would be welcome.

There's an additional quirk to this behavior:

If the child is not a TODO heading, its grandchildren are not blocked

    * TODO parent
      :PROPERTIES:
      :ORDERED:  t
      :END:
    ** TODO child1
    ** child2
    *** TODO grandchild1
    *** TODO grandchild2

In this modified example, the grandchildren are not blocked, unlike
the original example.  Again I can see certain workflows relying on
this behavior, but the behavior isn't quite obvious.  The
documentation should probably be improved.  I'd also like to think
about the implications behind this behavior and any alternatives a
little more.

* Re: Bug: ordered property blocks grandchildren [9.1.3 (9.1.3-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171116/)]
@ 2018-04-26 23:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2018-04-26 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen Li; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Allen Li,

thanks for reporting this.  I think both behavior are good
defaults, I tried to enhance the documentation a little bit.

If you see another way to enhance the documentation or the
message sent by org-mode, can you suggest it?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien