* removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-11 17:21 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2020-03-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org-caldav (https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/) to
synchronize the calendar on my Android phone and Org. Recently this
synchronization stopped working because org-caldav relies on
org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp that has been dropped from Org. As a
workaround, could this variable be reintroduced in org so as not to
break this very useful package ?

Julien.

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-11 21:09 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-03-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Cubizolles; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I'm using org-caldav (https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/) to
> synchronize the calendar on my Android phone and Org. Recently this
> synchronization stopped working because org-caldav relies on
> org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp that has been dropped from Org. As a
> workaround, could this variable be reintroduced in org so as not to
> break this very useful package ?

Could you contact upstream instead?

AFAICT, they use this variable only twice. The first occurrence doesn't
seem useful (they check for a planning info keyword in a headline, which
cannot happen), it is probably enough to look for `org-ts-regexp-both'.

I'm not sure about the second one. I guess it would be better for them
to use something like:

    (and (re-search-forward "org-planning-line-re" nil t)
         (org-at-planning-p)
         (progn
           (org-skip-whitespace)
           (looking-at org-ts-regexp-both)))

The (small) issue here is that we cannot properly deprecate a variable
that is not replaced with something else (i.e., we're not using
`define-obsolete-variable-alias' here).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-11 21:29   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-03-11 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:
>
>> I'm using org-caldav (https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav/) to
>> synchronize the calendar on my Android phone and Org. Recently this
>> synchronization stopped working because org-caldav relies on
>> org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp that has been dropped from Org. As a
>> workaround, could this variable be reintroduced in org so as not to
>> break this very useful package ?
>
> Could you contact upstream instead?
>
> AFAICT, they use this variable only twice. The first occurrence doesn't
> seem useful (they check for a planning info keyword in a headline, which
> cannot happen), it is probably enough to look for `org-ts-regexp-both'.
>
> I'm not sure about the second one. I guess it would be better for them
> to use something like:
>
>     (and (re-search-forward "org-planning-line-re" nil t)
>          (org-at-planning-p)
>          (progn
>            (org-skip-whitespace)
>            (looking-at org-ts-regexp-both)))
>
> The (small) issue here is that we cannot properly deprecate a variable
> that is not replaced with something else (i.e., we're not using
> `define-obsolete-variable-alias' here).

But if we use `make-obsolete-variable', the CURRENT-NAME arg can be a
simply explanatory string.

I was also recently bit by the removal of a bunch of regexps (in my
case, link regexps), and it would have been useful to have some sort of
a pointer, either in the obsolescence message or in the docs, about what
we're supposed to do instead.

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-11 22:20     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-03-11 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> But if we use `make-obsolete-variable', the CURRENT-NAME arg can be a
> simply explanatory string.

You're right. However, I'm not sure what the CURRENT-NAME should be,
besides "don't use this, you probably want something else"

Also, my suggestions still holds: it is useful to warn upstream about
it.

> I was also recently bit by the removal of a bunch of regexps (in my
> case, link regexps), and it would have been useful to have some sort of
> a pointer, either in the obsolescence message or in the docs, about what
> we're supposed to do instead.

I'm not sure about what "bunch of regexps" you are talking about.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-11 22:57       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-03-11 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 03/11/20 23:20 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,

>> But if we use `make-obsolete-variable', the CURRENT-NAME arg can be a
>> simply explanatory string.
>
> You're right. However, I'm not sure what the CURRENT-NAME should be,
> besides "don't use this, you probably want something else"

I would have liked to know what the "something else" was! Or even "Org
link regexps have been rewritten", something like that.

> Also, my suggestions still holds: it is useful to warn upstream about
> it.

Absolutely. I don't think Org has a responsibility to maintain backwards
compatibility for these variables, and upstream packages should be
tracking changes. But the more help we can provide, the better.

>> I was also recently bit by the removal of a bunch of regexps (in my
>> case, link regexps), and it would have been useful to have some sort of
>> a pointer, either in the obsolescence message or in the docs, about what
>> we're supposed to do instead.
>
> I'm not sure about what "bunch of regexps" you are talking about.

Looks like commit "Move link-related core functions out of \"org.el\"".
Nearly a year ago -- I wasn't paying attention! But defining link
regexps as aliases of other link regexps meant that the regexps matched,
but the match groups were off: that led to silent failure, and took
quite a while to debug. I guess I would have preferred a loud failure.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, I only bring it up because someone else
did!

Eric

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-12  8:21         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-03-12  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> I would have liked to know what the "something else" was! Or even "Org
> link regexps have been rewritten", something like that.

I added an obsolescence warning about it in "org-compat.el". It will
still break upstream, since there is no replacement for the variable.

> Looks like commit "Move link-related core functions out of \"org.el\"".
> Nearly a year ago -- I wasn't paying attention! But defining link
> regexps as aliases of other link regexps meant that the regexps matched,
> but the match groups were off: that led to silent failure, and took
> quite a while to debug. I guess I would have preferred a loud failure.

Most variables were only renamed. It's possible that a few of them
changed match groups, but that was probably not intentional (I cannot
remember). The only intended change was `org-link-bracket-re', which is
documented in ORG-NEWS.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: removal of org-maybe-keyword-time-regexp
@ 2020-03-12 19:03           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2020-03-12 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,

>> I would have liked to know what the "something else" was! Or even "Org
>> link regexps have been rewritten", something like that.
>
> I added an obsolescence warning about it in "org-compat.el". It will
> still break upstream, since there is no replacement for the variable.

I suppose I should have been watching the compiler more closely...

>> Looks like commit "Move link-related core functions out of \"org.el\"".
>> Nearly a year ago -- I wasn't paying attention! But defining link
>> regexps as aliases of other link regexps meant that the regexps matched,
>> but the match groups were off: that led to silent failure, and took
>> quite a while to debug. I guess I would have preferred a loud failure.
>
> Most variables were only renamed. It's possible that a few of them
> changed match groups, but that was probably not intentional (I cannot
> remember). The only intended change was `org-link-bracket-re', which is
> documented in ORG-NEWS.

It was `org-bracket-link-analytic-regexp', which was made an alias for
`org-link-bracket-re', but the groups were different. I just moved
straight to using `org-link-any-re'.

Anyway, it wasn't a huge problem, and I'm happy to keep up with Org
changes, but in this case the silent failure was a bit tricky.

Eric