From: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
To: Vladimir Lomov <lomov.vl@yandex.ru>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-refile, org-capture byte-compiling failure with recent emacs-git
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 21:07:45 -0500	[thread overview]

Vladimir Lomov writes:

> Hello,
>
> org-refile and org-capture failed to byte-compile by emacs from git (commit:
> 8c8093aa6f20a7a4f3799cbdb9270cac013ef71d) with following messages:

> Compiling /home/vladimir/pkgs/emacs-org-mode/src/emacs-org-mode/lisp/org-capture.el...
>
> In toplevel form:
> org-capture.el:1455:12: Error: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 2), 4

> Compiling /home/vladimir/pkgs/emacs-org-mode/src/emacs-org-mode/lisp/org-refile.el...
>
> In toplevel form:
> org-refile.el:566:17: Error: Wrong number of arguments: (1 . 2), 4

Thanks for reporting.

I'll need to look more closely, but this is very likely triggered by
d52c929e31f ((with-demoted-errors): Warn on missing `format` arg,
2022-02-04) on Emacs's side.  That commit is slated to be ported to the
Org repo but has been held for the time being with the rest of the
Org-touching commits that are in Emacs's master branch but not the
emacs-28 branch.

In d52c929e31f, the with-demoted-errors calls in org-refile and
org-capture were changed to use the format argument, which has been
available since Emacs 24.4.  So, the likely fix will just be porting
that commit.  However, it seems unintended that with-demoted-errors
would actually error here now rather than give a warning; again, will
need to take a closer look.