From: Christian Moe <mail@christianmoe.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [feature] Allow "," decimal point in table cells (was: org-table with different conventions: decimals)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:00:31 +0200	[thread overview]

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>>> Org tables use Emacs' calc under the hood by default.
>>> AFAIK, calc is unable to use "," as decimal point because it is reserved
>>> as a vector separator. Which is why you got the vector addition in your
>>> example.
>>
>> Thanks. I was afraid that the issue was with calc not with org-mode.
>
> Note that you can instead use Elisp formulas. See 3.5.3 Emacs Lisp forms
> as formulas. It is more flexible.
>
> Alternatively, we may implement the comma separators as a built-in
> feature. Org table formulas already support notations like
>
> | 3,5 | 4,2 | 7 |
> #+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;N
>
> or
>
> #+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;E
> #+TBLFM: $3=$1+$2;L
>
> (see 3.5.2 Formula syntax for Calc)
>
> we may as well implement something like ";Nc" that will interpret cells
> as numbers with "," as decimal point separator.
>
> Is there such a demand?
>
> Best,
> Ihor

That's interesting.

I remember an earlier discussion that settled on the recommendation to
keep the spreadsheet as it is and use export-hooks if one needs to
change the decimal separator upon export. My contribution to the
discussion also gave Carsten the idea of starting a Worg page called
org-madness.org. :-).

Thread started here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2011-05/msg00551.html

But I don't think we considered the possibility of a flag to make Org
translate dot-separated decimals into comma-separated ones for
Calc. That could offer more fine-grained control than export processing
when you need some dots to stay dots. And it would certainly be less
challenging for users who just want things to work without digging into
advanced export options!

Export processing (which has since become more fine-grained with the
introduction of filters) remains an option, though, and some backends
offer further possibilities.

Yours,
Christian