* How do people do it: lots of tags?
@ 2009-08-13 10:28 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-08-13 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Working in an 80-90 character line format, I am afraid to use more than a
few tags, and I try to make them short.  After well over a year, I am still
a bumbling novice with org-mode, but I'm beginning to have some insight,
perhaps, into how some things can work.  I like the idea of tags alot, and
that they can be used to group entries in wide ranging bunches of files.

How do people get around the line length limitation?  I would appreciate
learning how others deal with lots of  tags?  I think it's more interesting
to not limit to a closed system of tags.

Thank you again for this program, and for all the help and advice.

Alan

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world,  but when
you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird...
So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing---that's what counts.

   ----Richard Feynman

* Re: How do people do it: lots of tags?
@ 2009-08-13 11:14 ` Benjamin Andresen
From: Benjamin Andresen @ 2009-08-13 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hey Alan,

"Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:

> Working in an 80-90 character line format, I am afraid to use more than a
> few tags, and I try to make them short.  After well over a year, I am still
> a bumbling novice with org-mode, but I'm beginning to have some insight,
> perhaps, into how some things can work.  I like the idea of tags alot, and
> that they can be used to group entries in wide ranging bunches of files.
>
> How do people get around the line length limitation?  I would appreciate
> learning how others deal with lots of  tags?  I think it's more interesting
> to not limit to a closed system of tags.

This is how I get around the line-length:
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.php#sec-13

If that is too involved you can also change the value of
`org-tags-column' and `org-agenda-tags-column' to a bigger value than it
is currently set to for a quick fix.

> Alan

HTH,
benny