* agenda cycling
@ 2009-08-20  2:25 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-20  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

In at least org-version "6.29trans", I find the behavior of
org-agenda-cycle-show to be different from its docstring,
and also different from what I would find most useful.

The docstring says:

        Show the current entry in another window, with default settings.
        Default settings are taken from `org-show-hierarchy-above' and siblings.
        When use repeadedly in immediate succession, the remote entry will cycle
        through visibility

        entry -> subtree -> subtree with logbook

emacs -q --load org-testcase.el , minimal, produces
these states:

        1) folded
        2) only the first subtask shows, with no indication
           that there are any other subtasks
        3) same as 2
        4) everything except logbook
        5) everything including logbook

I find states 2 and 3 to be confusing, because it makes me
think that there are no other subtasks.

What I would expect for state 2 is to show children.  This
is, in fact, the most useful state for me.

The behavior that I would find most familiar is the same as
the cycling behavior when point is on the parent headline in
the outline.  I imagine most users would find the same.  I
don't mind experimenting with extra configurable states for
cycling, of course.

With my .emacs, the behavior is the same.  My .emacs has

        (setf org-show-following-heading t)
        (setf org-show-siblings t)

Also, I have some ideas for cycling from the agenda, which
seem appropriate to include here.

Point could change to show more of the outline.  I think
that the following would work well.

        1) folded, with point in the middle
        2) children, with point near the top
        3) subtree, with point near the top

Also, window configuration could change, to a generous size
for children and subtree, at least if they cannot fit in the
window.  Then it could return for folded, so that you can
see more of the agenda as usual.  I use the default,
half-height window for that.

Finally, a 4th state, which is to not show the outline at
all, is a possibility.  Thus, cycling 4 times gets you back
to the beginning.

Here is a full design.

        1) folded, with point in the middle, default window
           splitting
        2) children, with point near the top, generous
           window splitting
        3) subtree, with point near the top, generous window
           splitting
        4) agenda window fills the screen

Thanks.

--
Myalgic encephalomyelitis causes death (Jason et al. 2006)
and severe suffering.  Conflicts of interest are destroying

* org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance
@ 2009-08-20  3:54 ` Desmond Rivet
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2009-08-20  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I don't think org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance is working like it
should.  Or I'm misunderstanding something.

I have this in my .emacs:

(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("project"))

And I have this org file:

* Projects
** TODO Stuff 	:project:
*** TODO Item 1
*** TODO Item 2
*** TODO Item 3

I run C-a M and type project.  I expect to see only Stuff.  But instead
I see Stuff, plus Items 1 - 3.  Is that supposed to happen?

I see that this has been a problem in the (recent) past:

http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg11772.html

According to About Emacs, I'm using:
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12)
of 2009-07-30 on elegiac, modified by Debian

Has the fix made it in to this version?

Help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

--
Desmond Rivet

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

* Re: org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance
@ 2009-08-20  6:44   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Desmond Rivet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Works for me....

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-20 13:43     ` Desmond Rivet
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2009-08-20 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As this seems to have been fixed pretty recently (March 2009) it's
possible that the fix is not yet included in the version of emacs I'm
using.  I'll try installing the latest org-mode and see if the problem
goes away.

--

@ 2009-08-20 14:41       ` Desmond Rivet
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2009-08-20 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Desmond Rivet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Desmond Rivet <desmond.rivet@videotron.ca> writes:

> As this seems to have been fixed pretty recently (March 2009) it's
> possible that the fix is not yet included in the version of emacs I'm
> using.  I'll try installing the latest org-mode and see if the problem
> goes away.

Just tried Org 6.29c and the bug seems to be gone. Cool!

--
Desmond Rivet

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

* Re: agenda cycling
@ 2009-08-20 18:53 ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2009-08-20 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

A minor correction.

On 2009-08-19, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
>         1) folded
>         2) only the first subtask shows, with no indication
>            that there are any other subtasks
>         3) same as 2

This of course shows body text.  But it is otherwise the same as 2.

>         4) everything except logbook
>         5) everything including logbook

I do believe that there are several interesting possibilities for
cycling in the outline (I have notes on this elsewhere).  But,
whatever cycling there is, I think that it is probably good to have
the same cycling functionality in the agenda and the outline for
consistency, with the possible exception of a one-window state in the
agenda.

* Re: Re: agenda cycling
@ 2009-08-31  6:11   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-31  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

I have now made his command more consistent with normal cycling.
However, I have also made it in such a way that you can bind this
to the SPACE key and keep the normal function of the space key.

I.e. when called for the first time, it will show the entry in
the standard way, as configured by the org-show-hierarchy-above
etc settings.  When called again and again in direct succession,
it will now cycle to children->subtree->folded->...

Hope this makes sense.

Should I actually bind this function to SPC in the agenda by
default???

- Carsten