* Re: Re: Fwd: loading org changes faces in other modes
@ 2009-09-07 12:53     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-09-07 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Tassilo,

> with all those troubles, what's the point in `org-modules' anyway?  Are
> there any benefits over plain requires in users' .emacs files except the
> nice and explanatory customize interface?

One advantage I see is that org.el can define a default set of loaded
modules, while suggesting the user that there are many others to load.

--
 Bastien

* Fwd: loading org changes faces in other modes
       [not found] <20524da70909070736x1484b2e7r84d8f64dc398d405@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-09-07 14:41 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-07 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Begin forwarded message:

@ 2009-09-07 18:35   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-09-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

with all those troubles, what's the point in `org-modules' anyway?  Are
there any benefits over plain requires in users' .emacs files except the
nice and explanatory customize interface?

Bye,
Tassilo

@ 2009-09-08  6:49       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-08  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-orgmode

On Sep 7, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Hi Tassilo,
>
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> with all those troubles, what's the point in `org-modules' anyway?
>> Are
>> there any benefits over plain requires in users' .emacs files
>> except the
>> nice and explanatory customize interface?
>
> One advantage I see is that org.el can define a default set of loaded
> modules, while suggesting the user that there are many others to load.

Exactly.  I did not like the planner setup, where you have to go
in and put a significant number of require statements before
the thing will actually work.  So while I wanted a modular
package,  also wanted to ship a fully activated package.

Secondly, just as Bastien says, I want to make it easy to
find modules you might want to use.

But it is not easy to get the loading of the modules right,
the timing is important.  It has worked pretty well so far
though, I would say.

For the problem with gnus, I have now found a solution, I think.
I do now (in org-gnus.el):

(require 'org)
(eval-when-compile (require 'gnus-sum))
;; The following line suppresses a compier warning stemming from gnus-
sum.el
;; because this function is used before being defined
(declare-function gnus-summary-last-subject "gnus-sum" nil)

That does compile without errors, and it delays loading gnus
until it is actually used.

I'd like to hear if anyone still has problems with the latest
git release.

Thanks!

- Carsten

* Re: Fwd: loading org changes faces in other modes
@ 2009-09-08  7:50       ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-09-08  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

Hi Bastien,

>> with all those troubles, what's the point in `org-modules' anyway?
>> Are there any benefits over plain requires in users' .emacs files
>> except the nice and explanatory customize interface?
>
> One advantage I see is that org.el can define a default set of loaded
> modules, while suggesting the user that there are many others to load.

Yes, I agree.  On the other hand a listing in the info doc's
installation section would be nearly as good as the customize interface.

Anyway, those strange fontification troubles arising when org loads
modules automatically via org-modules are definitively a bug.  Not sure
if its on our or the emacs side...

Bye,
Tassilo