From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Feature request [7.3]
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 08:57:54 +0000	[thread overview]

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

[...]

>> > It'd be great if there were a way to make the ID property
>> > read-only (or really really hard to change).
>>
>> This is where column mode comes in quite handy?
>
> Link please?

Apologies;  I meant column view within org mode: info -> org ->
Properties and Columns -> Column view

[...]

> But the point is that these are just examples.  I think Org wasn't
> designed with the idea that it would end up having much of a
> "grammar," but it grew one.  I'm arguing for a UI re-think for the
> tool Org has become.

Yes, I can see what you are getting at.  However, one of the nicest
things about org is that it doesn't necessarily impose a structure on
everything and so a formal grammar could get in the way.  One could
argue that the flexibility of the system is it's main source of
effectiveness!  That and the fact that it is based on pure text.
However, this doesn't argue against improvements in the user interface
when necessary!

--
Eric S Fraga (: http://www.homepages.ucl.ac.uk/~ucecesf/ :)