From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Two questions about using a =#+begin_src emacs-lisp= block
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:45:01 +0100	[thread overview]

"Eric Schulte" <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
> if you are worried that you don't have the correct version of Org-mode
> installed you can check the output of the `org-version' function.  Mine
> reads
>
> "Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.510.g1e35)"

Note: the SHA1 for the git commit is only shown if Orgmode is installed into a
subdirectory of the git working tree.  I remember that this puzzled me
at the beginning...  After a few tries I've now set up as follows:

 - I'm tracking two branches local-maint->origin/maint (latest release)
   local->origin/master (developer version) with rebase and just add a
   single commit on top with customizations to the Makefile to get the
   install for each branch to the correct location

 - the latest release version is installed into .../site-lisp/orgmode/
   and is the version that gets used when I "just" start emacs

 - in the git working tree I'm installing the latest developer snapshot
   into a subdirectory dev-lisp; always compile via

   make clean install && make clean

   otherwise emacs might pick up byte-compiled files even though you've
   changed the sources (by checking out another branch or doing a git
   pull or just editing something)

 - keep a file handy with:

;; -*- lisp-interaction -*-
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/org-mode/lisp") load-path))
(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/org-mode/dev-lisp") load-path))

(setq load-path (cdr load-path))

   load this into emacs and do C-j on one of the first two lines to
   switch to using either the compiled or uncompiled developer version.
   The last lines strips the load-path of the first element, which
   switches back to the "standard" load-path provided you didn't do any
   other additions to load-path inbetween.

This is obviously customizable in several respects, but it works for me
and lets me track several stages of orgmode development with minimal
effort.

Achim.