[...] > > I.e.,it seems that Org is going to do its own "read.table" before even > looking at the code in the source block. > Yes, this is true, Org will use read.table to read in tabular data. See the code in lisp/ob-R.el for specifics. > > Is there some way to get Org to use the "fill=TRUE" option on a case-by-case > basis? > Yes, The attached patch allows the :fill header argument to be specified adding "fill=TRUE" to the read.table function call. Please try it out and let me know if it works for you.