* Google Summer of Code update
@ 2012-07-14 18:42 Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-14 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

this week, GSoC co-mentors and students spent time testing and
evaluating our GSoC projects.

Of the 3 ongoing projects, one will stop and the two others will
continue.

The "bugpile" project will stop: Thorsten produced lots of exploratory
writing for the design of a web framework based on elnode and Org, and
he wrote code for this.  But Eric and I feel like the project is not
going in the right direction.  So instead of spending too much time on
trying to agree about a new direction, we decided to stop the project.

This is a hard decision to take, but I think this is for the best.

I should thank again Thorsten here, as he's the one who convinced me to
go for the GSoC this year.  His code and docs remain available, and I'm
sure there are lots of ideas that will survive this experience.

  ~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/bugpile.git
  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/gsoc2012/student-projects/bugpile/

Thanks also goes to Eric for his time mentoring Thorsten.

And thanks goes of course to Google! Being paid to write free software
is a priviledge -- even more when failing is just part of the game.

Aurélien's and Andrew's projects get boosted by the mid-term deadline,
check their repos:

  ~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-sync.git           [Aurélien]
  ~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-merge-driver.git   [Andrew]

*Please* read/test/review their code as much as possible: send feedback,
however premature you think it can be -- because *it is not*.

I just read this blog entry - "How to recruit open-source contributors":

http://redmonk.com/dberkholz/2012/07/10/how-to-recruit-open-source-contributors/

This resonates very well with what I think and what I hope we will gain
from participating to the GSoC: new contributors.  So, please all take a
dive into the students' code, because that's how they will interact with
the list.  And students: please pick up questions on this list, pending
issues, known bugs -- and have a go, try fix things, report more stuff.
Do this in your free time :-) It will help you feel more comfortable
sharing your Org (coding) experience with fellows here.

Thanks for your support!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Google Summer of Code update
@ 2012-07-26 12:46 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-07-26 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> The "bugpile" project will stop

As requested by Thorsten, I archived all things related to bugpile in
worg.git.  This is no longer publicly available on the web.

You can still get the documentation Thorsten produced by cloning Worg
and checking out the "bugpile" tag:

~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/worg.git
~$ git checkout bugpile

--