From: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Build System (aka Makefile)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:47:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Eric Schulte writes:
> I don't find the strings "single compile", "compile-source" or "elint"
> anywhere in the Org documentation.  Perhaps there is different
> documentation for the Makefile?

Yes, as mentioned several times in this thread:
http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-build-system.html

I'll add that link to `make help´.

> Despite the huge number of Makefile targets (do we really need 12
> different versions of "make clean"), I do think that a make target to
> run a static code check would be useful.

Most of these are used only internally or are provided for backwards
compatibility with the old Makefile.  Bastien insisted they should all
be documented, so they are.  The elint methods have just been
implemented, but for various reasons I don't really like the idea of yet
more toplevel targets.  If I add one it'll probably be what `slint3´
does.

>> Those same people that have no problem to edit the sources?  Come on,
>> you can't be serious.
>>

> I am one of these people and I am completely serious.  This is the first
> time I've looked at Org-mode's make system -- beyond my help with the
> test infrastructure.
>
> The Makefile uses different languages and has different goals than the
> source code and I think there are many who feel comfortable editing one
> but not the other.  If you'll permit me an exaggerated metaphor, asking
> developers to edit a Makefile is like asking a watch maker to rebuild
> the table in her workshop.  She will likely find the task to be a waste
> of time, to be outside of her core competency, and not directly related
> to her real work, even if it results in a more comfortable work
> environment.

To spin that metaphor further, that watchmaker should have no problem
telling a cabinetmaker exactly what her desk should be like and she'd
hopefully be wise enough not to tell him which tools to use or how to
join the table board to the legs.  ALso I think she might listen when
the cabinetmaker tells her how to take care of her new desk properly.

> As I continue to contend, editing local.mk simply will not happen in
> most cases.

So, how did your .emacs come about?

Regards,
Achim.