* Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-07  8:21 Stelian Iancu
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2013-01-07  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs and
some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point where I
have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a headline. The behavior
seems random, i.e. it's not always the same header and I don't have
specific steps to reproduce.

Versions:
GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org

Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @
/Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20121231/)

Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen?

Thanks!

S.

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-07  8:50 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-01-07  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stelian Iancu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stelian Iancu <lists@siancu.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs
> and some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point
> where I have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a headline.
> The behavior seems random, i.e. it's not always the same header and I
> don't have specific steps to reproduce.
>
> Versions:
> GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
> 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @
> /Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20121231/)
>
> Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen?

M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET
Hit C-g when Emacs hangs.

Or

You can put the following in your .emacs
        (setq debug-on-quit t)

Or

It is always good to check everything is OK with minimal Emacs/Org
        emacs --debug-init  -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp  -L ~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp

> Thanks!
>
> S.

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-07 12:41   ` Stelian Iancu
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2013-01-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>wrote:

M-x toggle-debug-on-quit RET
> Hit C-g when Emacs hangs.
>
> Or
>
> You can put the following in your .emacs
>         (setq debug-on-quit t)

Tried this and unfortunately it didn't help. Once it hangs, pressing C-g
does nothing.

On the other hand, maybe it doesn't actually hang. I just noticed this time
that the mouse seems to work, i.e. I can move the pointer to different
places in the buffer by clicking and I can also select text. It's just the
keyboard that doesn't seem to be working anymore inside Emacs.
Unfortunately I don't have the menu enabled so I can't tell if it also does
something else.

> Or
>
> It is always good to check everything is OK with minimal Emacs/Org
>         emacs --debug-init  -L ~/src/org-mode/lisp  -L
> ~/src/org-mode/contrib/lisp
>

> > Thanks!
> >
> > S.

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-07 13:41 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-01-07 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stelian Iancu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stelian Iancu <lists@siancu.net> wrote:

>  I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs
> and some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point
> where I have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a
> headline. The behavior seems random, i.e. it's not always the same
> header and I don't have specific steps to reproduce.
>
> Versions:
> GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @ /Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/
> org-plus-contrib-20121231/)
>
> Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen?

Does it hang or is is stuck in a loop? Check whether emacs is is
accumulating CPU time with ps.

If it's in a loop and C-g works to get it out, you can set
debug-on-quit, interrupt it and ponder the backtrace. Doing it a couple
of times might indicate where the problem is.

If not, then the only thing I can think of is attaching strace to the
emacs process, and figuring out what it is doing.

In either case, easier said than done, but desperate times call for
desperate measures.

Nick

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-07 14:07 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-07 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Stelian Iancu <lists <at> siancu.net> writes:
> Versions: GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)

If you aren't prepared to attach a debugger to your running Emacs, you probably
shouldn't be using Emacs' trunk version at all or at least not right now.  If
you must use some unreleased version, try at least the pre-release for Emacs
24.3, that is 24.2.9x.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-08  9:31   ` Stelian Iancu
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2013-01-08  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Stelian Iancu <lists@siancu.net> wrote:
>
> >  I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs
> > and some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point
> > where I have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a
> > headline. The behavior seems random, i.e. it's not always the same
> > header and I don't have specific steps to reproduce.
> >
> > Versions:
> > GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
> 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org
> >
> > Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @
> /Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/
> > org-plus-contrib-20121231/)
> >
> > Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen?
> >

> Does it hang or is is stuck in a loop? Check whether emacs is is
> accumulating CPU time with ps.
>
> If it's in a loop and C-g works to get it out, you can set
> debug-on-quit, interrupt it and ponder the backtrace. Doing it a couple
> of times might indicate where the problem is.
>
> If not, then the only thing I can think of is attaching strace to the
> emacs process, and figuring out what it is doing.
>
> In either case, easier said than done, but desperate times call for
> desperate measures.
>
> Nick

Well it seems that it didn't hang at all. What happens is that the buffer
which contains the org file doesn't seem to accept any keyboard input
anymore. If I use the mouse to switch to another buffer, there the keyboard
input works as it should. Then if I switch back to the problematic file, it
works as well, for a while. Also, I've noticed that the problem seems to be
happening when I try to expand a heading.

For now I can do this mouse switching of buffers but I'd really like to
know what happens and how can it be fixed.

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-08 19:19     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2013-01-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stelian Iancu; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Stelian Iancu writes:
> Well it seems that it didn't hang at all. What happens is that the
> buffer which contains the org file doesn't seem to accept any keyboard
> input anymore.

This bug is currently being discussed on emacs-devel:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/156120

Jan has already posted a possible fix; maybe you can help testing it?

-David

* Re: Emacs hangs in org file
@ 2013-01-09 14:41       ` Stelian Iancu
From: Stelian Iancu @ 2013-01-09 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)